Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

I think the Chinese costumes are slowly getting a bit better. Would this be an ok student troupe costume?

Brand New Sexy Belly Dance 2 Pcs Costume Bra & Skirt 7 Colours | eBay

So not belly dance, but listed as such. I love this set, but don't know when to wear it if I'd buy it:

KUCHI TRIBAL BELLY DANCE HIGH COSTUM TRADITIONAL SKIRT TOP LENGHA CHOLI | eBay

Not sure what these are, but they might come in handy for decorating costumes?

5 PCS.DECORATED TRIBAL BELLY DANCE SKIRT PATCH BRA | eBay

RENAISSANCE PEASANT WENCH FAIRY BELLY DANCE TRIBAL ATS COSTUME TOP SKIRT:

RENAISSANCE PEASANT WENCH FAIRY BELLY DANCE TRIBAL ATS COSTUME TOP SKIRT #Sk46 | eBay

And to balance it out, I love this set:

We3 Belly Dance Gypsy Tribal Faire 32 Yd Skirt &Top | eBay

Some more dubious items:

Last edited by a moderator:

Darshiva

I'd wear that first costume if it would fit me. Definite yes for student costumery.

The rest of the ebay items in the first lot... WTF?!

PracticalDancer

I deal with data in my day job; therefore I deal with the consequences of bad metadata. Amulya, someone needs to start the data geek's version of you "What were they thinking?" blog for bad metadata!

AndreaSTL

Those are pretty small! They look nice in photos, but I'm skeptical of a beaded costume that costs less than $30.

The black skirt in the attached photos has possibilities, I think. Paired with harem pants or a skirt plus a hip scarf it might work for the tribal gals. That poor little red costume, though. I'm afraid it needs a major do-over!

Amulya

I deal with data in my day job; therefore I deal with the consequences of bad metadata. Amulya, someone needs to start the data geek's version of you "What were they thinking?" blog for bad metadata!

What stops you? :D

My concern would be the "one size". Did you check the measurements? I think there is a reason the models look to be pre/early teens.

Way too small for most people. I don't think they look like pre or early teens, pre teens are children! They look like average Asian girls, and they are much smaller sized. They need to start making different sizes, I don't think they sell much of these otherwise. But maybe it's possible to request bigger sizes.

But indeed for $30 I wonder what the beading is like. Still that can be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariadne

Pre-teens are also 11-12 yrs old and my cousins children looked just like those models at that age. Unless someone has a naturally small build I doubt anyone over 14 could fit into one of those.

jenc

the main problem with much asian clothing is that it is straight up and down - even if theoretically for larger sizes.

I have som pretty wrap skirts that will fit up to a 40 plus hip but are almost the same in the waist.

could be altered to a nice tribal outfit if I was

a) gifted with a needle

b) tribally inclined

Amulya

You mean with 'straight down' that there isn't a curve for the waist and hips? What I notice a lot with Asian clothes is that there often is no boob space. Sizes and shapes are ok, but they forgot that some women have bigger boobs. But that's an issue with non-Asian brands as well. Lucky I found an Asian store that does sell clothes with boob space yay!
Since I lost weight, I am in that unlucky place where they sometimes don't sell the size I want grrr. Some clothes are made more loose cut so I tend to buy a size smaller to adjust that. Now that size smaller doesn't exist anymore. Weird. There are heaps of people much much slimmer than me (I don't even count myself as super slim), so where do they shop?

I suspect with the models above, they are probably also very short, so those skirts wouldn't be long enough even if the costume would fit someone. Just wait a bit more and they will realize they need to sell more sizes. It's very interesting to see the development in Chinese costumes so far :)

Aniseteph

Someone in our class has those Chinese tribal pants with the lace insert/overskirt. Apparently a UK size 16/18 is XXL. Or was it XXXL? :shok:

The same ones are all over eBay but the full colour choices and cheapest deals are direct from China, and those seem to be nearly all tiny. I guess it's a toss up between widening your market by making UK/US-friendly sizes, and keeping production super cheap by not bothering with complications like sizing.

Amulya

Nice to know that red one is adjustable... and what belly dancer doesn't want Vuitton written on her skirt together with some weird symbols?

Aniseteph

I think those symbols are used in the signature Vuitton print. So maybe it's a genuine Louis Vuitton tribal skirt! For the label-conscious Tribalista - never mind eclectic Silk Road chic, it's all about the Gucci, D&G etc etc... obviously. HUGE gap in the market. :rolleyes:

I saw the red raggy one in green on eBay last night. LOL. Shredded fabric is a really difficult look to pull off without looking like the cat's been at it.

Shanazel

Why, Anise, I was heading right out the door to buy the red version and now my feelings are hurt. I've always longed to look like a droopy red Christmas tree.

Aniseteph

Definitely the green for the full Christmas tree effect - just add fairy lights and tinsel and a few baubles tucked in here and there.

According to the description it is a "professional belly dance yoga costume". YOGA???

Darshiva

Definitely the green for the full Christmas tree effect - just add fairy lights and tinsel and a few baubles tucked in here and there.

According to the description it is a "professional belly dance yoga costume". YOGA???

I have the right figure to turn that costume into a Xmas tree! LOL! Bring on December!

Shanazel

NO! NO! :mad: I've waited all year for spring to come again. You can just order this in yellow and go as a zinnia dropping its petals.

Amulya

The nude/gold costume I really like, but the bra is a bit problematic I think, it's too nude. The double skirt with ruffles is so beautiful :)

That mini skirt is apparently a belly dance costume and that corset was listed as “Corset Bodice BellyDance Ren Fair Cosplay PiRaTe FairY.” I want to know what a pirate fairy is.