Page 177 of 184 FirstFirst ... 77127167171172173174175176177178179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1834
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking the same gorgeous green ones! Also almost loving the cooler green one (maybe if the snake on the bra was a little smaller) and the bright baby blue (?) shade, although I'm not sure how I feel about the dress itself. I wonder how it would have looked if that curved line was spiraling around the body, can't tell if it might be partially doing that already.

I find the white and red one unsettling but can't quite figure out why, I don't think I would have felt the same if the colours were a little different or at least something else than that crisp white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Edit: I think I know for the white and red one. Probably not green instead of white, then. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red-Eyed-Tree-Frog-full-864x475.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	11047
    Last edited by lilya; 03-20-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I look at the green beledi dress, the better I like it. The scoop at the neckline is just enough to show the pretty bra. I don't care for the look where there neckline dips several inches below the bra, leaving a gap of skin.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Shanazel. It's hard to find a beledi dress that manages that balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilya View Post
    I find the white and red one unsettling but can't quite figure out why, I don't think I would have felt the same if the colours were a little different or at least something else than that crisp white.
    It is a very stark contrast.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a belly dance, BUT! I want this skirt:

"Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

How many petticoats do you think she has?

Post Thanks / Like

Not a belly dance, BUT! I want this skirt:
    The line forms to the rear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    How many petticoats do you think she has?
    My guess is none - just several skirts it looks to me...

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the skirt itself is very light, more than a full circle, with a stiff heavy hem to give the skirt swirl and sway. The fullness comes from the petticoats (a petticoat being nothing more than a specialized skirt meant to give support to an upper garment) made of something light and frothy-full with stiffly bordered hems.

HA! Based on the premise that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has written a scholarly article on Ruth St. Denis nautch dances, I checked on line and found the very article. Within the article is this sentence:

For example, two distinct Nautch dances were recorded on silent black-and-white film by Carol Lynn at Jacob's Pillow in 1949 and 1950, respectively.' The White Nautch shows St. Denis in a white gagra, choli, and chunni (long veil draped on the head and upper torso) worn in the North Indian way, except for the billowing ruffled petticoats under the gagra.
    Paper should be accessible here: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ce_Renaissance

There are more photos of similar skirts. Ruth wasn't trying to be authentic but rather giving her own personal twist to a dance that had fallen into disrepute in its home country. Sounds to me like she added the petticoats to increase the dramatic movement of the skirt (gagra or ghagra).
    Last edited by Shanazel; 03-31-2018 at 03:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find.

She really was quite something. Her, Isadora Duncan and Loie Fuller.

Post Thanks / Like

My definition of a petticoat is either a supporting skirt made mostly of tulle, or a hoop skirt. YMMV!

Post Thanks / Like

My childhood was both romanticized and made miserable by crinoline petticoats sewn into tight-waisted, full-skirted dresses fashionable for little girls in the early to mid sixties. Oh, the agony of scratchy material around my waist! Oh, the beauty of those full, crisp skirts! Oh, the relief of 1966 and tent dresses and A-line skirts!