Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Darshiva

I don't know.... I think the heart one is really cute if matched with a lovely ruby-red skirt. Great for a themed/comedic piece or for v-day bellygrams. I'd wear it. Probably not in those colours & removing the fringe on the cups, but yeah, cute & quirky.

Daimona

I don't know.... I think the heart one is really cute if matched with a lovely ruby-red skirt. Great for a themed/comedic piece or for v-day bellygrams. I'd wear it. Probably not in those colours & removing the fringe on the cups, but yeah, cute & quirky.

Yeah, and compared to the other costumes, it really doesn't look too bad either, but rather nice.. :lol:

Shanazel

Change all the colors, remove the fringe and the boob hearts... what's left of the original costume?

Even so, the colors and heart/boob juxtapositions in the original costume are so horrific to my eyes that I can't imagine bothering to try and improve the design when for less effort one could come up with something new and hopefully more harmonious. :cool:

Roshanna

That first one with the hearts... surely a joke? :shok: But who would go to all that trouble for a joke?

I'm sure I've seen that hearty one before, and I have a vague feeling it may have been a Madam Abla, or at least being sold as one? (or perhaps I imagined that...)

Edit: Yes, I did imagine it. I think I was actually thinking of this one... http://uglycostumegoddess.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/colors.html

Last edited:

AndreaSTL

I can live with the rainbow costumes - the first needs to be plucked of the feathers, have proper beaded fringe, and good straps. On the second I'd remove the hearts. I'm thinking of one local dancer who would love it and would make it look great.

Tits McGee and the rest are all lost causes for me.

Shanazel

The rainbow costume is way too busy for me, but remove the hearts and the extra layer of multi-colored fringe (I like the dark blue) and it could be quite pretty.

da Sage

I love the psychedelic neon on black! I'd totally wear that!:cool: Maybe remove the feather...but otherwise, I love it.

Amulya

Not a belly dance costume but I love it! I think you could still get away in it as belly dance costume though.

Darshiva

I would totally wear that as a BD costume - probably for a choreo to Boro Boro by Arash or Habibi Dah by Hisham.

Jeanne

That last thing with the black shorts or short skirt (I can't tell which) -- what the heck is that?

Darshiva

That is a nice teaching outfit. And as for the costumes, they are all tasteful in their element. I'd certainly wear the first if I did another vintage shoot - luscious coinage & a very big nod to 50s-70s costuming without being too revealing.