Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Munniko

o_O I have finally seen a lolita themed belly dance outfit and I do not approve as much as I originally thought I would.

SeeJaneDance

I think if you took ALL of the lace off the second one, it'd be quite nice.

The first one I suspect is a bit too bare on the bottom for my own comfort, but the top and belt are very pretty. I don't mind the decorated leggings so much, but this skirt looks super spare.

The third one, I agree, suffers from very bad photography. If she were standing up I bet it would be very pretty.

Amulya

I see a face in the belt/skirt of the black and white one haha, but it isn't grumpy. The other two can have serious malfunctions when one dances I think! You can't dance on stage with them.

LadyLoba

That orange costume Amulya started the thread with would look great on her. The button one earlier on the thread made me smile..I saw it looking around for costume ideas once. I think they were trying to do a whimsical take on coin bras...but it kind of looks like they couldn't find any coins so they used buttons...odd.

Last edited:

Amulya

Did you mean looks great on me? Orange doesn't suit me, but it does suit the dancer who is posing in it :) There are good versions of the button ones, Rachel Brice and her troupe have used buttons in their costumes and it those looked great. When I was a student we had someone in class who had a button bra! She also had a weird lamé pharaoh neck thing that she made and wore with it! The teacher didn't say anything because the poor lady was an alcoholic and she didn't want to hurt her.

Darshiva

I like the lace costume except for the matching security tags. I'd rock it in a gothy way, for something tribal fusiony. But the security tags have to go & be replaced by more floral embroidery.

Amulya

Security tags? You mean the silver circles? I think the lace around the bra and belt needs to go instead.

Darshiva

They look like security tags you get on clothing- at least they do when I have the screen dimmed to the point where I can actually use the computer at the moment.

Amulya

That hasn't been handmade by the seller, I remember those things used to be for sale at market stalls, they had matching bras. I was unfortunate to witness a dancer wearing these over harem pants once...

Safran

Lately, I am drawn towards costumes, that really make me wonder if I love them or hate them in the beginning. How weird is that!? For example, just today I discovered a video clip of a friend - Irinita Juman, who is a dancer based in Riga, Latvia. I love her dancing, but that costume I was not so sure about at first. But now, I think it is awesome! :lol:

[video=youtube_share;FSg-lEeVgMM]http://youtu.be/FSg-lEeVgMM[/video]

gisela

Super Moderator
Woooow! Cool costume! I would immediately get stuck with the arm on my hip though :lol: It happened before with way less dangly stuff.

Amulya

Not my taste, I don't like short skirts for belly dance. Seems you can see the underwear though it or is that a trick of the lighting?

Seren

The chainmaille bikini thing looks very uncomfortable and I make chainmaille jewelry, but uh no bikini making for me or even bras for that matter.

As far as the danglies and tight skirt, I think I would need a doc after I smacked myself in the face with the arm dangles and for the slrained ankle with the tight skirt, as Im a big clutz. It looks very nice on the dancer but it just not for me.