Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

Shan, my mother told me about those, they sound horrible! I wonder with the belt and skirt, how does it stay in place and what underwear would you wear with it? If a dancer wears a thong it would look like she isn't wearing undies, there is a dangerous gap right near the Bermuda Triangle.

Aniseteph

Gold and White Rhinestone Lycra Bella

The hipband on this one reminds me of the old fashioned sanitary belts one was forced to wear monthly in the bad old days before sticky-stuff was perfected. Most of you are too young to remember those ghastly things. Be grateful.

There were horrible tales at school of mortifyingly embarrassing Things they would provide you with at the office if necessary. <shudder>. I am guessing rather less diamante though.

Built in undies HAS to be the only safe way to wear that, even with chiffon inserts under the cutouts.

gah, got manilow earworm now...
"Bermuda Triangle It makes people disappear." errrr.... :confused:
"Bermuda Triangle Don't go too near." fair comment :lol:
"But look At it from my angle And you'll see why I'm so glad. Now Bermuda Triangle Not so bad!" Oh dear oh dear oh dear. There's the problem right there, it's all about the angles.

gisela

Super Moderator
Ok, I ADORE Nour and she is always classy and beautiful and my biggest dance idol ever!

This bellystocking though... Is it just me or does the pattern look like stretchmarks? Nothing wrong with stretchmarks of course, but we mostly hear about people wanting to hide them, not get fake extra ones ;)

965926_10200836097122235_1712658339_o.jpg

Attachments

• 919318_10200836084481919_1582675315_o.jpg
    919318_10200836084481919_1582675315_o.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 160

Shanazel

Boy, the nerve of some people, faking stretch marks instead of getting them honestly through hard work and labor. :mad: What's next? Worry lines for the serene?

Safran

I love Nour's style -she has such a classical, elegantly abundant costumes... As for the stretchmarks, I would never have thought of the pattern as stretchmarks if you hadn't said it, Gisela :lol: For me it seemed like a designed animal print of some sort...

Sirène

I think she might have envisioned it looking like a tiger stripe, but not so much in that color. It might have worked in gold or silver.

Amulya

Yes I guess they are supposed to be tiger stripes but they look weird. If she would have used a non sheer fabric it could have looked like tiger stripes but I don't think it would match the costume. The costume is beautiful

LunaXJJ

Amulya

The stuffed animals one was designed by a dancer to use for kids parties if I remember right. The rest are crazy too! The first one needs a 3rd cup in the middle and it might fit that 3 breasted woman from Total Recall (I think it was called)! The last one might be from the 70s?

Amulya

Just trying, I have a few 'beauties' I have to share, but uploading is a bit of an issue lately for me

ETA: doesn't work :( hasn't been working for me since a while.

LunaXJJ

Yes Total Recall is correct. :) I love that movie, well, the original one of course. Interesting she'd chose stuffed animals for a kid's party costume as opposed to a dress. Not that there's anything wrong with her stomach showing, but usually one dresses more modestly around kids. I guess I personally would just feel uncomfortable in that setting.

I found this just now on amazon while looking for veils, and it honestly scared the crap out of me when I scrolled down.
Amazon.com: (Price/Piece) BellyLady Belly Dance Black Mysterious Face Veil, Egyptian Style: Clothing

Harry

Male opinion: The 'mcboob' outfit looks like fun, but I think I would want my dancer to wear it for us in private ;) ... of course, in private, she wouldn't need the bra.:lol:

Slightly off topic (sorry!): I've been away for awhile, but happy to be back and provide some opinions of an enthusiastic male BD fan to, hopefully, amuse my sisters here in the forums, especially the charming Amulya :)

I found this just now on amazon while looking for veils, and it honestly scared the crap out of me when I scrolled down.
Amazon.com: (Price/Piece) BellyLady Belly Dance Black Mysterious Face Veil, Egyptian Style: Clothing

Male opinion: I'm inclined to agree, Luna. That looks too much like a mask... I like to see my dancers' smiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amulya

Darn it! We want to see!

It's 'amazing', I will try a link to Photobucket to see if that works.

Yes Total Recall is correct. :) I love that movie, well, the original one of course. Interesting she'd chose stuffed animals for a kid's party costume as opposed to a dress. Not that there's anything wrong with her stomach showing, but usually one dresses more modestly around kids. I guess I personally would just feel uncomfortable in that setting.

Kind of like that weird face thing in the movie Wild Wild West! But that was gold coloured.

Going to try this from Photobucket. This seller normally has really nice things but these are a bit 'different':

(The cross eyed effect is very special)
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/amulyadance/image-1_zps2789bcc5.jpg

A little bit less bad:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/amulyadance/image-1_zps728c3d27.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/amulyadance/image-1_zpsfef80501.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bast

It's 'amazing', I will try a link to Photobucket to see if that works.

Kind of like that weird face thing in the movie Wild Wild West! But that was gold coloured.

Going to try this from Photobucket. This seller normally has really nice things but these are a bit 'different':

(The cross eyed effect is very special)
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/amulyadance/image-1_zps2789bcc5.jpg

A bit fembot inspired. Perhaps it shoots lasers at the ceiling while you dance.