Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

LunaXJJ

:lol: I was being polite and hiding her identity.

Happy Valentine's Day anyone?

Bast

This is from a costume maker I actually like and I think the basic design is really nice, just some unfortunate hypnoboob beading going on here.

hypnoboobs.jpg

Amulya

What a shame, in combination with that belly ornament it looks like face. Without the hypno-things perfectly fine. Although that type of neckline isn't my favourite.

Amulya

Darshiva that's one amazing melaya dress.... :shok: hahaha is that supposed to be a hand or some kind of splash?

Andrea I seriously hope they won't look at this page! Why would anyone find that a good idea? I don't even like these for sports (they squeeze boobs into a ridiculous shape)

Farasha Hanem

Going to try this from Photobucket. This seller normally has really nice things but these are a bit 'different':

(The cross eyed effect is very special)
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/amulyadance/image-1_zps2789bcc5.jpg

A little bit less bad:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/amulyadance/image-1_zps728c3d27.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/amulyadance/image-1_zpsfef80501.jpg

My former teacher is selling a costume that I thought at first was lovely (I only saw the skirt at first), but then when I saw the bra, I thought the same thing :confused:

image.jpg

What do y'all think? Should I buy it, orrrrrrr...? :confused:

I hope my former troupe mates don't see this... >.>;;;

I actually HATE anything that looks like eyes, crossed or otherwise. >.>;;;

Last edited:

Darshiva

Farasha, it CAN be rescued. Cut out the bling as appliques and apply them to a covered bra & bead around the edges to blend with the new bra. In fact, you have a handy source of edging beads kindly provided right on the bra!

PracticalDancer

Farasha, it CAN be rescued. Cut out the bling as appliques and apply them to a covered bra & bead around the edges to blend with the new bra. In fact, you have a handy source of edging beads kindly provided right on the bra!

Well, yes, but I have learned that one should only buy projects one really loves and wants to rescue. Otherwise, they never get finished, never get worn, and become a source of de-motivation.

Farasha Hanem

:think: Come to think of it, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a blinged-out sports bra with crooked eyes. There's supposed to be a "small sleeve" that my former teacher says was cut off by the original owner, but "with careful sewing, can be put back on." It does look like one side once upon a time had something there. I dunno. :confused: For $115 dollars, it's a steal, and the skirt IS gorgeous. :( But the bra? :confused: Bleah. If I were industrious, I'd just harvest the beads and bling off it and cover a brand-new bra, but I don't know if it would be worth it. :confused:

Here's the skirt:

image.jpg

EDIT: I do have some pretty blue satin fabric---I might be able to buy a brand-new bra in a style I like better, buy some extra beads and sequins, harvest the original bra, and see if that sleeve is worth saving...for $115 plus just a bit extra... :think:

@Darshiva At first I thought you meant just cut out the eye-looking things and bead over the removed part, but I guess you meant all along to just cover a new bra! :redface: :wall: :doh:

EDIT AGAIN/ Just got an email from her, she said she would deliver it personally. Since she's willing to go to that trouble, I promised to have her favorite made, cupcakes! ^^

EDIT ONE MORE TIME: *sigh* She's not able to so payments, she needs the cash right away. :( Oh, well...

Last edited:

Darshiva

Nice skirt, top's okay but way too damaged for the asking price. I'd offer her $85 if I felt up to reblinging onto a new bra.

Farasha Hanem

Meh, I guess it's not really worth it. There are much prettier costumes out there, and I'm better off saving for music, workshops, and DVD's, anyway. :)

Amulya

If it's cheaper it could be worth it. But what happened to the original bra? Too damaged that she had to make a new one? With this one and the old one it should be possible to make a good new one. That's the state of the skirt? Is it damaged too? And what happened to the other sleeve, does that still exist? That could be useful.

Farasha Hanem

Apparently, it's the original bra. @___@ I'm not getting it anyway, because my former teacher can't do payments, which is just as well. I don't think the skirt is damaged. She did say that if it doesn't sell right away, she'd arrange payments with me---if that happens, I'll see if she comes down on the price. If not, I'm passing on this one.

EDIT: After looking at the bra again on my phone, I'm not so sure it IS the original bra now. It might have had a sleeve, but upon closer inspection, it looks like appliqués sewn on to one of those sports bras with shaped cups. It could be saved, though, but I don't want to pay $115.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

I have seen a few costumes like that Farasha that were actually dresses. The top and skirt would have been connected by black mesh. If it was truly separates, having a black mesh bodysuit under it would make it more dress like, and less sports bra. Also, that level of beading on the skirt will cause it to ride down, so pinning it to a body stocking is recommended.

That heavy, crusted embellishment style will be hard to reproduce, especially since there is visually more of it on the skirt than on the bra. IF it were appliques, one could transplant onto something else, and it would work IF you were transplanting it on to a bra with less acreage. As stated, I would only recommend it IF you love it.

My 2 cents.