Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Aniseteph

It doesn't look like Turkey (OK I admit it, I checked...)

Maybe it's a map of a pirate treasure island and there's a little diamante X marking the spot.:lol:

Shanazel

Looks like they ran out of blue fabric and attached what little they had to an old pair of grandma panties.

Not attractive.

Amulya

Hmmm, that is a bit cracktastic isn't, it? Other than the color none of the parts seem to go with the others.

I agree that you can't make the assumption that just because it comes from a designer you like it will be a nice design. In one room I've seen absolutely gorgeous costumes next to pieces that had me wondering what the devil they were thinking. I'm not sure if something gets lost between the idea and the execution or what.

Maybe it's a case where something went wrong where parts of several designs ended up mixed up at the seamstress place.

Sirène

It came up on Bhuz and I had to seek opinions here:

https://www.bellydancestore.biz/gallery.php?new=new&productId=20469

It's a Sahar Okasha Mermaid, and it's beautiful, but the price tag: :shok:

The issue I have with the cost is that I do not believe the paillettes are hand-sewn. I've seen a couple of dresses with this type of 'fabric' floating around the web, and from the number and similarity of placement I get the impression that it is machine-made. I've no doubt it's incredibly expensive material, but still, made by an automated process.

What do you think?

Handmade or not, it's sexy! :cool: I wish I had the body for it.

Daimona

$1,500 us

Wow! It better be handsewn for that price. In case anyone want to see the back of the costume as well..

A friend of mine that is truly addicted to the current costuming trends in Cairo also got a costume in the same kind of paillette fabric, but I actually like the previously posted costume better.

Amulya

The backside. Yes for that price it better be all handmade, even Bella's are cheaper and they got much much more work on them!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 85

Aniseteph

Woooooooah... Now if those were holographic you'd be visible from space, and audiences would need to watch through those filters you watch eclipses through. You'd probably have superpowers.

Amulya

How does the Sahar bra work? It looked like the cups aren't connected!

The Dahlal one got nassels, not sure if garters and nassels are a good idea haha

The second one is a belt apparently, I think it can be saved by taking it all apart and use it as embellishments or put it back together in a different way. The first one hahahahaha, the mannequin!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 60

Darshiva

It's got that invisible elastic stuff like they use for bra straps sometimes. You can see that one of the fringe pieces is caught on it.