Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

Some really weird tribal fusion bras. Well at least the one with gold hearts is nearly covered

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 36

AndreaSTL

I really want to see someone shimmy in the middle bra! I wonder if it would look the same as a chilly porcupine? (not that I've ever seen one, mind you)

Sirène

Is it me, or do most Tribal bras tend to not have the straps done? In professional shows (like BDSS) they're always covered, but it feels like in every other venue (haflas, youtube, etc.) unadorned staps are ok. :think:

By the by, spikes are back in style. I went into Sears yesterday and saw plenty of t-shirts adorned with faux leather and chrome spikes, and not just in the juniors section. :rolleyes:

da Sage

Is it me, or do most Tribal bras tend to not have the straps done? In professional shows (like BDSS) they're always covered, but it feels like in every other venue (haflas, youtube, etc.) unadorned staps are ok. :think:

You are correct, a lot of Tribal Fusion and some ATS/ITS dancers just don't see the need to cover the straps and back opening even if they will show in the costume. I kind of get it, it seems silly to cut off the sides and straps of a perfectly good bra, and replace them with ribbons or whatever. On the other hand, if you don't cover/change it, you really are just performing in a glammed-up lingerie bra.

I think a lot of it has to do with changing acceptance of brastraps showing in general. In the past, making sure your bra was completely covered for shopping/school/work/parties was a big, big deal. Now most women don't worry about their brastraps showing under tanktops or dresses at all, unless it's a fancy or more formal occasion.

By the by, spikes are back in style. I went into Sears yesterday and saw plenty of t-shirts adorned with faux leather and chrome spikes, and not just in the juniors section. :rolleyes:

I like spikes! They can be dangerous, though.

Amulya

It's different to have bra straps showing from underneath street clothes (I don't like the look but sometimes they are hard to conceal) but with belly dancing it's a bit different, so if people wouldn't show bra straps under an evening dress why with a belly dance costume? A belly dance costume is different from daily wear as well. Or do tribal dancers want their costume to seem more like street clothes in comparison, I mean would the tribal costume to be the street clothes and the cabaret one the evening dress?
I think it's laziness, maybe the want to have many different bras and not having enough time? If they cover them with a top it wouldn't be so bad but I don't like unfinished costumes.

Hahahahahaha the chilli porcupine!

SeeJaneDance

Just from what I've seen locally, a lot of tribal dancers (and that's the majority of the local dance population) do wear just slightly adorned street bras, with the straps uncovered and minimally or not at all decorated. However, at least half of them layer those bras with cholis or shrugs, or other accessories, which camouflage or hide the straps completely. I sort of wonder if it's an evolution of this trend...I mean that when a dancer is performing in a very warm venue, or wants a more sleek look, she just sheds layers, without altering the costume pieces underneath. At the same time, with some of the local dancers, I think they are, in fact, shooting for a quasi-lingerie look.

ETA: When I say tribal, I mean tribal/tribal fusion--I've never seen straight up ATS dancers in anything approaching a street bra, or for that matter, a bra without a choli.

Amulya

Though there are plenty of tribal fusion dancers who have properly finished bras, thinking of The Indigo dancers for example, they don't wear any unfinished items. Maybe it depends on what style of tribal fusion?

Shanazel

A tribal dancer in a state north of mine habitually wears a plain white lingerie bra with the original straps and back, decorated only with a few silver thingies on the cups. I swear I'm going to make her a decent bra someday just because I like her and she deserves better.