Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Ariadne

You're right, my eyesight is so bad I thought it was some sort of too big belly cover with belt!
For a minute that's what I thought it was too, now I'm just wondering what the heck is up with the buttons? Was it advertised for BD?

Daimona

3.) opinions? I find it hiddeous, but maybe others like it?

IMO it is too civilized to be a wild animal print.
If somebody gave this to me I would to these mods to it:
Ditch the belt (or make another one in same fabric as skirt, alternatively just put some more bling on the skirt directly) and make the top more asymmetrical, and I'd be ready for bellydance in the jungle.. :lol:

Darshiva

Amulya's pics:

3) is a very sweet costume for a baby bellydancer. Great for a "bling yourself to class" end of semester party, but not something I would encourage to be worn on stage.
4/5) is hideous. What horrible beads. What a horrible design.
6) looks like my first attempts at machine sewing a costume. You don't onsell those. At least not unless someone asks specifically for that costume.

Amulya

For a minute that's what I thought it was too, now I'm just wondering what the heck is up with the buttons? Was it advertised for BD?

Yes EBay Germany. But of course nowadays EVERYTHING is called 'belly dance costume', yes it was advertised as 'bauchtanz kostum'

some new ones, did i post the firt one yet? The second is for kids :confused:, third... sigh another 'bauchtanz kostum', the blue one... got to get rid of that circle. And that last one, blearg

Amulya

The first one should have the same colors in the last layer I think. I like these but I suspect they only look good on very slim dancers. If you have bigger hips it might look bulky?
The second goes over another skirt I guess, but again, got to be stick thin for that. They remind me of those Turkish 'skirts' that were made of long thin strips with sequins on them, in the 90's. (tried to google pictures, but there are so old fashioned I think there are no pictures) They also existed in a net version.

Ariadne

And that last one, blearg
I like the scarf by itself.

I rather like those too.

On the other hand, wtf is with these?
Brand New Sexy Belly Dance Skirt Hip Scarf many pieces 2rows diamonds 10colors | eBay

Looks like someone's skirt got caught in a shredder.
Looks like a cheap way to get your hands on some cascades to add to a different skirt. I would so remove them from the belt though.

psychobilly5

I don't have a picture of it but I have to tell you about my failed attempted at making a cabaret costume years ago! I got all the materials together and sewed it up and it ended up looking like something the dallas cheerleaders would've worn. Ugh it was so ugly and all I needed was a sequinned cowboy hat and it would've been a perfect joke costume. I was trying to go for teal/white/black costume which in theory could've been beautiful but alas wasn't.

Amulya

That has happened to nearly all of us :D I had this fantastic idea to use tulle as a two layer skirt, BUT it was stiff hard tulle and it looked so rediculous I never finished it. I found the thing in one of my boxes (from moving) and still need to take a picture for this thread!

btw I had a look again at those 'skirts' made of organza strips, I think that would be very stiff and not move that well, due to edging. Not sure, opinions?

Darshiva

I love her costume!

(vid from thread in the sauna in case you've seen it before.)

Last edited:

LunaXJJ

Some gems from etsy today. XD

This next one, just wtf....

Ummm, maybe finish this first?

O_O Oh wow.

Because tacking coins to a piece of fabric makes it a hip scarf.

Starmouth

The green one...is that a bra and belt? If so, would be fine with a skirt, minus the silver boots!

If it is a bra and pants I will weep real, actual tears.

Amulya

Found some new things I like to post, not bad, but good :)

I think this costume would be fun for Halloween (I think it might actually have been for Halloween):

Unfortunately no close up pictures of the embroidery. The designer also made the costume in the attachment (I think it was posted on OD before), her design is called Jada STYLE, I She is very good at intricate beading work.
If you have time, have a look at this link, it got many many pages though!

Then there is Kaleria, she got some beautiful things.

example of beadwork

but from a distance it has a bit of a angry face look, or is it just me?

-Very thought provoking, these ones I don't like the kid's costumes!

-More extreme thought provoking in my opinion:

seriously, THIS? Or THIS? Maybe it's not meant to be a belly dance costume, this here
And this is rather unique, I don't like it, but the beading is skilled I must say. Belt without the weird skirt pants thing and with a normal skirt would look good.
And cone-boobs are never good.