Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

walladah

Omg

what were they thinking?

the green one can be saved with an addition of beaded fabric but the scarabaeus costume....
no, that cannot be saved even if all Egyptian goddesses tried to support the design.

I also see here and there on facebook costumes to be sold second hand and they are this design-quality or worse. THeir only value is the beads and sequins, for goodness sake who is going to buy them at first place?

i still cannot believe that there are designers to do something like this. I am done with Paris and NY designers for non-bellydance clothes who think we are going to wear some ridiculous stuff and now i see them in bellydance. THis is a designers' revenge for bellydance was the only fashion space supposed to support women really.

Daimona

Overload of pharaonic and egyptian symbols, but what could be done differently?

Let's see...
The bra itself isn't too bad (despite the eyes, but at least they are intentional):
1) Remove the epaulettes/shoulder things (whatever they are) and the choker (I'm not a fan of either).
2) Remove the center piece (a bit weird, imnsho). If necessary, replace it with the ankh from the choker.
3) Divide the bottom part of the centerpiece into two and replace the scarabes on the bra. (Dung beetles on a bd costume? seriously?)

The belt... I'm not sure if it is possible to save it, but given that it is:
1) Remove the scarabe and its "tail feathers".
2) Reuse the epaulettes/shoulder thingies as center-pieces placing them tilting diagonally (I was thinking of turning the wings of the belt up-side down too, but I'm not sure if this will help).

So you're left with a less thought-provoking costume, some scarabes, the collars from the choker and the tail feathers of the isis.
If you really want to use the dung beetles on a costume, make a separate costume for them and use the costume for a comedy gig.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Amulya

Haha, yes that might work :) The choker got a weird collar sitting on top that I hasnt noticed before. I don't mind chokers, lots of costumes have them included in the costume, but simple with a bit of matching fringe. This thing is too much. But compared with the massive crotch beetle it's not even that extreme haha.

Roshanna

This is truly thought-provoking! Obviously well-made, lavish beadwork and stones, but.... oh vey. Maybe it would work for a theatrical play with somewhat humorous tone. Or maybe the right dancer cold pull it off, but... what do you think?

Oh my goodness. My thoughts are certainly provoked. It looked flamboyant but potentially usable... until I saw the giant crotch-beetle!

Aniseteph

I have a sneaking fondness for scarab costumes, but the crotch-beetle is completely out of order. Otherwise, add white skirt, enormous gold wings, cobra headdress, full-on Cleopatra eye makeup and a sense of humour, and embrace your cheesy fabulousness.

Amulya

My friend found two more, she's actually hunting these for me haha. And she does find the best ones.

The frumpy purple one can be saved I think: take the deformed heart of the belt and the heart of the bra and wear the skirt-belt lower (guess its too long on the model). Shame I had to hide her face, her expression was priceless.

But the bikini costume.... That can't be saved! Remember a few years ago those weird bikinis with a piece of fabric attaching the top to the bottom? They just added a piece of fabric to the bottom and a weird bit between the shoulder straps. Seriously, who would wear this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 46

Shanazel

A bathing suit with half a skirt on one side and a matching band aid across the upper chest.

How could a dancer go wrong with that costume provoking thoughts?

Shanazel

The beautiful, the baffling, and the (de)batable.

Change the orange skirt to forest green, shape the belt a bit, and this is essentially one of my first costumes. :)

Attachments

• bd1.jpg
    bd1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 186
  • bd2.jpg
    bd2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 183
  • bd3.jpg
    bd3.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 187
  • bd5.jpg
    bd5.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 187
  • bd4.jpg
    bd4.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 180
  • bd6.jpg
    bd6.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 179
  • bd7.jpg
    bd7.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 180
  • bd8.jpg
    bd8.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 185
  • bd9.jpg
    bd9.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 179

Daimona

Just fill out the blanks of the white (i.e. the gap between the boobs) and golden one (the eyes), and they are both ok.
I'm not too fond of the draperies on the purple, but it is ok.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I kinda wish I learned Egyptian and Turkish bellydance so I could wear these costumes. so pretty...so blingy!

Shanazel

Is anyone else finding that this thread takes forever to load? Amulya, my dear, perhaps it is time for us to start the next series of TPBDC on a new thread. It will be at least the third and maybe the fourth. What do you think?

Amulya

Very unflattering costume, the part that's supposed to be naked skin turns into a weird panel and the one cup is another colour. Plus it's a bit of a potato sack, maybe if it gets taken in it's better, but I don't like the design.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 25