Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

LunaXJJ

Admittedly off topic; but, I have to share: try looking through Jessica's pages at Slave bracelets by the Vintage Angel. She makes GORGEOUS jewelry, works with you for custom pieces, and provides excellent customer service. I found her through facebook and cherish the pieces she has made for me. One note, though: the cabachons do make her bracelets heavy. If you have a small wrist, like I do, it can make the bracelet move to put the heavy side downwards. Therefore, I don't dance in her pieces; but, I save them for special occasions . . .

back to topic!

Very pretty, but my wrists are incredibly tiny. Lol. Still love looking at pretty jewelry though.

Amulya

Does resemble Jabba the hut a bit . . . (note to self: DON'T, just DON'T google images of Jabba ever again! There are a lot of pics comparing real people to him, and the one of the naked heavy man with whip cream in his lap CANNOT BE UNSEEN! EYE BLEACH!)

:lol::lol::lol: I saw that! And a woman whose portrait resembles :shok:

1.) 90's Turkish costumes are coming back :shok:
2.) because Hawaian dance and belly dance is all the same anyway
3.) opinions? (mine is: bleargh)
4.) opinions? (mine is: yuk)

What I don't get is: why don't these designers not buy some proper Egyptian and Turkish costumes and see how they are made, learn the techniques and of course don't copy, but it could make a difference in quality. I think they have just only seen pictures on the internet. But there is so much to find and proper closeups of beadwork etc. I don't get it why it's all so different?

Last edited:

Sirène

Am I the only one who thinks whale tail? :(

2.) because Hawaian dance and belly dance is all the same anyway

If the term "Polynesian" was anywhere on the listing I will forgive this, for the simple reason that I think BDSS has convinced the general public that bellydance and polynesian dance are related/go together.

For tribal practice, not horrible. I've seen bigger lapses in judgement.

Shanazel

Bleargh and yuk work for me.

Re: Jabba the Hutt. There was a lawyer (no longer practicing, I think) who I always thought of as Jabba the Hutt except he smoked a huge cigar instead of a hookah. Real bastard of a guy, always trying to look down his nose at anyone he didn't consider good enough to come into his presence. When I walked into the room where a depo was to be taken, he looked me up and down, turned to my attorney and said, "Who is she?" in a voice that let everyone know I was barely worth acknowledging.

The first time I referred to him as "Jabba" I thought the attorney I worked for was going to die. He kept having to stifle giggles through the rest of the deposition.

Ladies and gentlemen, never mess with the legal assistant, the legal secretary, or the janitor. Any one of the three can make your life miserable. After that little show of power, Jabba had a real hard time getting through to either me or the attorney when he needed information.

Last edited:

Darshiva

Too busy for me. The secondary belt needs to go, or the primary one does - together they look like a decision couldn't be made & the desinger said 'stuff it, I'll do both!'

The fringe is way too heavy in front for my taste.

The bra is nice, though.

The pants would be interesting as a trumpet skirt. The layering would work with that. The top is hideous.

Oh dear. Well I certainly wouldn't turn anyone away for wearing it to class...

Shanazel

When's the last time we had thoughts provoked by Dina? There were the days when I thought she was hideous but the older I get the more I love her. She's not just the belly dancer next door, that's for sure. Who else could get away with a camophlage mini and bra?

View attachment 5032

Amulya

Now I understand why they call hipscarves 'skirts'...

Her undies are sticking out! She could have worn her skirt a tad bit longer. But yes she's one of rare dancers who can get away with crazy stuff!

Last edited:

Jeanne

When's the last time we had thoughts provoked by Dina? There were the days when I thought she was hideous but the older I get the more I love her. She's not just the belly dancer next door, that's for sure. Who else could get away with a camophlage mini and bra?

View attachment 5032

Gaaaa. Sorry, I just can't deal with miniskirt costumes. Even on Dina. I kind of like the camo idea, though.

LunaXJJ

View attachment 5032

Ugh, if its not bad enough she can't ever wear something more supporting for her ta-ts, now this. :naghty:

LunaXJJ

Various Etsy Searches:

Amulya

OMG that's a great find!!!!

This one isn't that spectacular though, but they are all over the place and just meh:

PracticalDancer

OMG that's a great find!!!!

This one isn't that spectacular though, but they are all over the place and just meh:

Hey, now -- those aren't mine, but I make and sell similar falls. Mine look nicer, of course. (sniff!)*

They are not for everyone, but the tribal/tribalret/etc. crowd loves them. And, I have had cab dancers who want to "look tribal" wear them, some even use them as under-the-right-belt accents.

*my feelings are in no way hurt. I personally don't wear these with cab costumes and only wear them under the "right" circumstances, but I also believe one key thing to be true: "to each his own!"

:)

Will post pics of some of mine that I like better. And, hey, Amulya, I USE GLITTERDOT IN SOME!!! nyahh, nayyah!!! (runs playfully away!) ;)

Amulya

I bet you make nicer ones, I have seen some really nice ones and these I posted were just 'meh'. Glitterdot sounds interesting, I think it small abouts it can be cool. Just not as a skirt I think. The people who sell them should post them on a model, makes a huge difference :)

Amulya

I am thinking about this red costume, if the price is right and it fits. I would do some major alterations though: replace the nude fabric with something else. I could wear it as it is, but I am a bit more modest. I would get another black circle skirt for underneath.

Or the black one. I would fill in the open space with nide fabric so I can wear undies haha. But not sure if black is going to work for me though. I have a black one already but it got multi-color in it which is very different. I could easily add red beading or another color.

The same seller also got an amazing blue one, but I own too many blue ones!

Any opinions on these cossies?

Amulya

Oh here is the blue one:

(if anyone is interested, let me know, I can get you in contact with this person :) )

PracticalDancer

I like the red, just as it is! And, on the black, are the cut-outs in the belt meant to highlight the skirt fabric? (Because you would have a skirt in between it and undies, right . . . unless you are Dina, that is. [shrug])

Will get you some pics on the falls. I have found it to be a nice, relaxing hobby to make them, and I have sold about 8 pair locally. I am trying to decide if I should open an etsy shop or not . . .

Now, asking a question to you as a Moderator, Amulya: if I were to post those pics, should I post them in this thread or another? Once I "go into business," I know I need to put it in the marketplace; but, until then??? (see, I have thoughts about costumes all day!) :lol:

Amulya

As long as you're not in business yet you can always post them for feedback, lets just call it market research :)

The black costume was sold (and yes it had that huge cut-out, I would have done something about that: different skirt) and the red was too small. Seems alsways have small cups :( So I contacted Bella directly. Hopefully I'll get an answer and can get one made for me.