Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

When you get bored of the bra straps... you just find an alternative way of wearing them...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 29

Shanazel

Thoughts provoked?

Binder clips: the new must have belly dance costume accessory.

binder clips isis.jpgisis1.jpgisis2.jpgisis3.jpgisis4.jpgisis5.jpgisis6.jpgI like this last one. The others... provoke me.

Shanazel

What additionally provokes me about the purple one is the workmanship- looks worse than the first costume I ever made.

Is it my imagination or are costumes getting further and further out there in an attempt to be hot and unusual? Some of those offered on this site looked like someone took leftover materials from a dozen costumes and tried to use them all up on a single creation. Even Amulya's best costume satires did not approach these heights of provokingness.

Aniseteph

I used mini binder clips to attach a veil to a skirt once :D. Plus side -they grip like anything and don't make holes in chiffon. Minus side - they dig in. Ow.

The sea slugs maker me queasy.

Last edited:

Amulya

A weird plastic costume by a designer who otherwise makes amazing costumes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 40

Shanazel

Sometimes costuming moves from the realm of "what were they thinking?" clear into WTF. Roshanna, your offering gets the WTF award for the day. The prize is a diamante paperclip of your choice in puce, beige, or mold green.

Amulya, someone has fused fantasy Greek warrior with Minoan Snake Goddess for that one. It's appealing in its way but doesn't exactly scream "belly dance."

Excellently thought provoking examples for the day.

Darshiva

A weird plastic costume by a designer who otherwise makes amazing costumes

I like that look. I'd remove the attached skirt and use it in a novelty piece, but I do love it. It's just a costume that's looking for the right song. I've got such a costume myself.

Roshanna

I like that look. I'd remove the attached skirt and use it in a novelty piece, but I do love it. It's just a costume that's looking for the right song. I've got such a costume myself.

And add an actual bra, I hope! The thought that it provokes in me is, is someone planning to wear that boob-holster on its own :shok: