Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

The first one is for the Bouillabaisse Troupe and the other is just belly dance lingerie, no idea how that can be used as costume

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 54

Aniseteph

Turn the skirt 90 degrees to the left...

Genius!

Ah, the bouillabaisse troupe - the more realistically sea-themed and mermaidy you get, the more it looks like you just got fished up in a net.

Appliques are tricky... I liked them on the purple and blue one a few posts back, although IMO the short skirt did it no favours. I think it's that they need a bit of extra embellishment or using on something a bit more fancy to not look like a shortcut.

Amulya

If half a bumcheek is sticking out, it's not a belly dance costume in my opinion. Also too naked at the front, the costume needs an extra skirt added:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 48

Amulya

More questionable stuff. The black and white just looks off to me in colour combination, I think it be great in one colour though. The Bermuda Triangle one is just risqué haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 51

Selene

Yeah the black and white doesnt look good in that color combination, maybe in somo other color combo that is less contrasting?

How can someone focus on dancing with a costume like the bermuda triangle one? I mean I would be worried the whole time

Roshanna

More questionable stuff. The black and white just looks off to me in colour combination, I think it be great in one colour though. The Bermuda Triangle one is just risqué haha

The black & white one just looks messy. Like a white costume got splattered in mud by a passing truck.
I actually think the teal 'bermuda triangle' one is really pretty, but I'm not sure I'd have the fortitude to wear it :shok:

Daimona

:think: Ocean themed... I just thought about how various seeweed could be inspiration for a costume...

Last edited:

Shanazel

That's not just half a bumcheek- it's the whole bumface. ;)

I agree with you about the two dark blue areas on the blue costume needing to be balanced by use of the color elsewhere. I'm not a big fan of different colored boobs anyway thought I can see how the effect might be useful for someone who has different sized boobs and wants to make them look closer to the same size without a ton of padding.

I like the color and basic design of the deep teal Bermuda Triangle but the overexposure aspects definitely need some rethinking.

Aniseteph

The Bermuda Triangle is pretty but scarily overexposed. The black and white one is squicking me out though. Maybe it's just the resolution on this tablet, but I'm seeing attack of the black mould, or what'd happen if you put glue on your arms and rolled in hair. Ewww.

Amulya

Just leaving some new ones here...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 57

Daimona

This one would be amazing in something like black and silver. Only posted it because I don't like the colours, but the lines are interesting and would work really well in other colours I think.

Just leaving some new ones here...

Love the elegant black lines in this one, at least from this angle. Would lov to see it from other angles as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aniseteph

The gold one looks a bit perturbed. The blue tribalish one; what is that motif in the middle? an eye? a sporran?.... then zoom in for a close up and all I see now is Bender from Futurama. It's got his teeth. And the green one with gold fringe looks appropriately apologetic and sad.

Those tiered flouncy skirts with the wire edges look like a fire hazard. There was a big to-do over here around Halloween because of nasty cheap costumes being dangerously flammable, and I expect some the cheap Chinese skirts are exactly the same stuff.

But I quite liked the yellow one with black lines Amulya posted (only it's got one of those silly flip up hems which are really starting to irritate me).