Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Roshanna

Just a few oddities a friend sent me. I didn't like any of these

It's good to have you back, Amulya :)

#1 is weird, but not terrible.
#2 looks oddly like a cake to me, not sure why...
#3 wheeeeee! crotch explosion!
#4 I actually think could look really nice if being worn by someone instead of on the dummy. You'd need big hair to balance out the huge flowers!

Selene

You always find such unique costumes XD

1, is not that horrible but there is something weird about it.
2, too much going on! my eyes hurt from looking at it, just too much! the colors don't seem to go well together, and what is going on with the different fabrics and then the huge chunky beading? the pink looks so out of place IO_O
3, too much too, why so many colors ><><
4, I found it cute, but Im not sure I would wear it, I really like mermaid style skirts

Aniseteph

Amulyaaaaaaa!!!!!

ITA with the not terrible but weird verdict on 1. I can't work out if it would be better with hair that didn't merge with the black stripes, or worse.
#2 has too much that looks like gift wrap accessories on it. Tinsel? If you had to make a sparkly costume from what you could find in our small town without recourse to charity shops or Claire's Accessories, this would be a not-bad effort.
#3 the paisleys are oozing pink fringe. Eww.
#4 i agree with Roshanna, definitely could work on the right person. Big 80s hair, absolutely!

Shems

Truthfully, I haven't been able to witness this full thread, and at this point many of the backlog of photos are long gone, but I'm curious if y'all ever go in and admit your guilty pleasures, meaning those costumes you know are questionable or fugly but you love and would totally wear anyway (or have worn)? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

One of mine that pops to mind is this rich red Sahar Okasha with fat red beads that looked like red cherries dripping from the nipples. Unfortunately, I can't find a photo of it here, but this one is a little bit similar, but unfortunately with out the dripples (am I using that word correctly?) I think it also had...assels?

142ca7c79e958cb953b6d7e8ed7333af.jpg

Last edited:

Daimona

Truthfully, I haven't been able to witness this full thread, and at this point many of the backlog of photos are long gone, but I'm curious if y'all ever go in and admit your guilty pleasures, meaning those costumes you know are questionable or fugly but you love and would totally wear anyway (or have worn)? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

That wouldn't be a problem at all. A Thought provoking bellydance costume (TPBDC) could both provoke in several ways, it doesn't have to be bad or ugly to be mentioned in this thread. Everyone's taste is different, and various costumes designs looks different at different bodies, which is a great thing and exactly how it should be. Even dubious costumes may deserve a good home.

When we have less fortunate made costumes, half of the fun is pointing out what could have been done better and why, so we can learn from it and what not to do. Gorgeous costumes, on the other hand, may be posted just because they provoke our thoughts positively. Of course it is also nice to pinpoint how and why we like it so much.
Student costumes and practice gear are not things we discuss, unless they are out for sale as belly dance costumes....

This could also be the time to remind some about the rules for this thread:

This thread is for sharing costumes you like, costumes you like to discuss or costumes you wonder of 'what were they thinking'.

Rules for this thread:

• When you post in the TPBDC thread, please do not post pictures with the models' face visible. Please blur/cut off first before posting.
  • Please do not post pictures of students in practise gear.
  • In case you post a picture of a costume you like, it's a different story: no need to alter the picture.

Shems

Regarding the rules. I understand the intent, and thus far I've only posted things I like, even if they are, well, unique, and have elements that I wouldn't necessarily sport myself. But how does that work with video?

Shanazel

Videos posted on YouTube and similar sites for the world to see are fair game. The objects of discussion are the costumes and not the people wearing them.

Darshiva

I try to not mention my preferences when I post a pic because opinion is subjective (unless it's truly hideous) and in one case a costume I hated was designed for a forum member who loved it (and good on her too!) So I think my habit of not giving a 'guiding' opinion with the pics I post has served me well, and has resulted in me looking at costumes with a new eye on many occassions.

Amulya

Amulya! Honey! Where and how have you been? Still queen of the questionable dance attire, I see.

Shan, I've been away due to the usual boring crappy stuff: illness. BUT, I just found these two! One might be a nice addition to our Bouillabaisse Troupe?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2,405
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 268

Amulya

One of mine that pops to mind is this rich red Sahar Okasha with fat red beads that looked like red cherries dripping from the nipples. Unfortunately, I can't find a photo of it here, but this one is a little bit similar, but unfortunately with out the dripples (am I using that word correctly?) I think it also had...assels?

View attachment 10665

Yes! Absolutely! Check out my costume album and you'll find some very questionable stuff I've worn haha. My craziest costume was a 'Wild West belly dance costume' complete with guns. Though guns aren't visible in the picture.

Shanazel

Hope the crappy illness has departed from you and will not return soon if at all. I get very lonesome for you when you are away.