Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Darshiva

Okay, I'll come clean. I posted that pic as an antacid relief from the eye-searing ugly that has plagued us for a page or two. I'm glad you like it as much as I do.

Please remember this thread is for all costumes that provoke a reaction, not just the ones that provoke a 'oh holy hell what IS THAT?' one. ;)

Shanazel

I believe they were advertised as Indian belly dance costumes which is what made them thought provoking for me.

Indian Belly dance? :confused:

Aniseteph

Another vote for the nude/gold.

That foil material is a hard look to pull off. Closely fitted risks looking like a foil-wrapped turkey, flapping about loose with random creases looks like one of those emergency blankets.

LOL, that was about the foily one Shanazel posted; now I look at hikari_no_yami's and there's more bacofoil. Wow that's nasty. Not only eyes, it looks like an underboob incident waiting to happen, and I'm not sure that's not a short skirt, looking at the third pic.

(Same seller has quite a few contenders. Bleeding moon is pretty bad but skanky leaf bra - :shok:)

100% sexy... This piece accommodates small, medium or large bodies (One size fits all).

Snort.

beachbunny

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread I could post these, but I wanted to share a few! I went to the Getty Villa Museum in Los Angeles and every piece of jewelry I passed all I could think was, 'wow that would be perfect for my belly dancing costumes!' Hope you all like them! Amazing and made around 500-700 BC! Just imagine having jewelry millions of dollars worth. :shok:

Aniseteph

I love the snakes.

OK, Captain Positive in the house trying to do something to haul my mood out of the pits (goes something like can't dance feeling inadequate at work trying to grow fringe out but it looks like hell and I feel 100 and getting flakey patch round eye so can't just pile on the slap and did I mention can't dance although everyone else can and won't someone please DECIDE who is doing what dance in the show so we can sort costumes and haven't choreographed dance yet and what's the point it'll suck anyway and... shut up moaning it's all your fault anyway. :rolleyes:) [/whine]

So, looking for some inspiration for costume (which I think I'll post if it comes out OK) and I found this:

I don't especially like the costume, but that is a NICE colour scheme. IMHO. No use inspiration-wise for costume, but hey.

Psychological observation: I have some amazing silver sequin material that I'm using for a hip wrap feature on this costume, and it is just lovely and is cheering me up already. I definitely have the "ooh sparkly" gene. :D

ETA: I <3 <3 <3 Eman Zaki but this one looks faintly like it's got a sofa throw caught in it. http://bellydancestore.biz/gallery.php?catId=1&productId=14132

Last edited:

Ariadne

...and of course I love it. :lol:

Well it doesn't come in my size and I would need a body stocking anyway so there's no danger of embarrassing myself in one of those anytime soon.