Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

PracticalDancer

There is a fine, fine line between genius and nutjob. And, I prance down it regularly.

Thanks for the love, all! As many fumes as I breathed gluing all those eyes on, I am glad you appreciate the humor of it!

Amulya

Anala, I would love it if you shared that costume on my 'what were they thinking blog', with the full story of course :D Would you be up for that?

Amulya

Here is something special for Halloween:

(I didn't blank out the face, it was too good not to show, plus this came from a non belly dance site, it was tagged belly dance though :confused:, can blank it out if needed)

What I think of this 'belly dance headdress':

Ariadne

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I introduce the "300 Eyed Chemical Monster Bedlah!"

I made this for a Haflaween performance. It is not for sale . . . yet. But, I wanted to show that we can all have a little fun with this and laugh at ourselves a bit. I actually learned a lot while making this set, so I plan to blog / have a photo commentary album on the PD Facebook page. In the meantime, enjoy! (The spidery, one-eyed thing is a hair accessory.)

I read this yesterday and I still can't stop trying to imagine what it would look like when you danced in it... I'm going to agree with the "genius" label, mad genius. But hey, you got the laugh down pat. ;)

Azrael

I found this on a local vendor's site. And there are a few bra's in the same style. Nothing is screamingly wrong with it at first, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy about it.
After a few seconds I realised that the bra cups were joined at the top, not at the bottom. :confused: Why would they do that?

Aniseteph

Wow. That would be so useful.

ETA: Just saw the Eyes costume. OMG, genius, love it. I <3 costumes that make me laugh in a good way.

Last edited:

Ariadne

Ok, now that reminds me of a lady I know who has eyes tatooed on her breast so men will look up... could be counter-productive in this case. ;)

Amulya

I found 2 ugly creations of mine, beware: pictures coming soon.... and these things are hideous!

(I didn't have a camera with me, so I couldn't take pictures today)

Apphia

Ok.. LOVED the googly eyes!!, Also, I CRACKED UP at the pumpkin barfing because that was what I thought of that hat.. or headdress.. whatever you wanna call it. I tried looking at the amphibious dress and all I saw was a bohemian skirt, so they may have reused a number, or I missed it.

Thanks for all the shares, I've never laughed so hard in my life..

Oh yeah, upside-down bra? I wonder if that was a "Oh crap, look what I did!!" .."Ah, just go with it, no one will notice..." "Okay!"

So.. none of that was a 'What would you do better comment' .. sorry.. Not trying to break the rules... I kind of liked the button one, although I probably would have made sort of a pattern out of them, or used a theme.. possibly glued some sequins or beading to the centers, but I guess it would defeat the purpose of the whole 'button theme' .. if that's what you were going for.

Last edited:

Amulya

LunaXJJ, those things you'd never thought they had anything to do with belly dance! What is wrong with those sellers?

Here are some that have a 'what were they thinking'-effect, I think there are a lot of good elements, this seller is slowly getting there:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/totallycreativeny/sold
but she got to make sure the bra's don't end up looking like eyes.

This costume is a beautiful color, I like that velvet, but the bra has weird appliques:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/85472536/belly-dance-costume-peacock-by-totally

Last edited: