Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Ariadne

It was fairly standard for Turkish costumes though. There is a reason that bellydance had a bad reputation in Turkey until Didem, the costuming only being part of it.

Amulya

That is just NASTY!!!

I know! I used to be shocked to see pictures of dancers in such costumes on Turkish belly dance cassettes in the 90s! Luckily Turkish style costumes have become a lot nicer since. Though Bella generally had nicer costumes, also in the 90s

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
It was fairly standard for Turkish costumes though. There is a reason that bellydance had a bad reputation in Turkey until Didem, the costuming only being part of it.

Yep. Turkish style does tend towards the over-sexualized, even today.

Shanazel

Used to tell students, "If you see a pair of platform heels and two strips of fabric, you're probably looking at a Turkish costume."

Ariadne

Used to tell students, "If you see a pair of platform heels and two strips of fabric, you're probably looking at a Turkish costume."
And the funny thing is I'm as modest as they come but I love the style of Turkish dancing, it's actually my favorite.

Amulya

��������

Such a shame though that Turkish belly dance is so sexualised. Because Turkish style can be beautiful and I always preferred the more modest costumes. There is an an advantage to the bit more modest costumes: there is more fabric that can be embellished!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Heels is both Lebanese and Turkish I think

Hmmm, I've never Belly Danced in heels, but I did do a sort of a dance in a set of 3 inchers once or twice. Interesting experience - its easier to dance in them than it is to walk!

Amulya

It is! I think it’s because a lot of dancing is already done on the toes and that’s why. I used to do ballroom dancing on heels

Shanazel

I like Turkish style dance, too, and think it had a big effect on American Cabaret back in the day when we still called it American Cabaret. I was never comfortable in skirts that opened in front clear up to the hip band and generally sewed mine closed from mid-thigh up. Had one costume open to the top of my legs- wore it once and was so self-conscious about that much of my legs being revealed when I moved that I never wore the thing again without a full underskirt. With so much of the upper part of me on display, adding the full length of my legs made me feel positively undressed. Boobs OR legs- not both. Tsk. I was such an old fashioned girl.

Heels. Never. Never, ever, ever, ever. I wore pale pink ballet slippers on dubious surfaces and even those made me feel constrained. Wearing heels did not feel at all like the same thing as releve but then I'm from Arkansas and just don't do shoes happily at any time. :lol:

Shanazel

I wondered about it, too. Would like to see a photo of the entire costume. Something about the trim makes me long to see some henna designs on the dancer's hands and maybe one arm. What relief did your friend provide to your ugly belly dance costume skirt?

Amulya

Using the fabric in a totally different way: making small pleats and folding it over bra cups for example, probably with a nice fabric underneath, I can totally see how that could work. It’s a stiff fabric, but if it’s encorporated into decorations in small amounts it would work. It has a very fine golden thread in it.

I also gave her this one: http://bellydanceforums.net/album.php?albumid=456&attachmentid=8735 it needs new wiring, buckram and proper bra inside, there never was, the person who made it for me didn’t even use a bra inside. I think once she’s refurbished it, it will be a good costume. She loves older style costumes with tons of fringe, like I do, so she’s the perfect person for it.