Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Shanazel

I wandered over to the Dalal site this afternoon to see the latest fashions in belly dance costumes. It was a dismal walk. Didn't see anything that made me long to spend money for the body I no longer have. Most were meh. Some were definitely thought-provoking. Is it just me or do other people see a guy with a beard on the gold and pink costume?

bd1.jpgbd2.jpgbd3.jpgbd4.jpgbd5.jpg

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That pink thing is hideous, and the burnt orange one isn't much better.

As far as a guy with a beard and the pink/gold costume - this guy doesn't have the anatomy for the upper part, but would totally wear the lower!

Amulya

This style has been around for a long time, but I personally have never been a fan, it sort of looks like a short skirt that got fabric added

Attachments

• BB7C7451-B9E2-4178-A35B-B582C6FB2FE2.jpg
    BB7C7451-B9E2-4178-A35B-B582C6FB2FE2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 13

Amulya

I think the pink one can be fixed, it needs a different style skirt. The last one needs fridge adjustment, the blue and black needs that boob splatter removed but the first? I don’t even understand what is going on there ��

I wandered over to the Dalal site this afternoon to see the latest fashions in belly dance costumes. It was a dismal walk. Didn't see anything that made me long to spend money for the body I no longer have. Most were meh. Some were definitely thought-provoking. Is it just me or do other people see a guy with a beard on the gold and pink costume?

View attachment 11073View attachment 11074View attachment 11075View attachment 11076View attachment 11077

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That pink thing is hideous, and the burnt orange one isn't much better.

As far as a guy with a beard and the pink/gold costume - this guy doesn't have the anatomy for the upper part, but would totally wear the lower!

Looking at it again, probably not. That skirt would result in my doing a spectacular face plant the 1st time I wore it - I'd step on that dragging hem for sure!

Amulya

Looking at it again, probably not. That skirt would result in my doing a spectacular face plant the 1st time I wore it - I'd step on that dragging hem for sure!

Same haha. I dont think anyone would survive a trailing skirt like that when dancing (or just walking around)

Shanazel

Amulya! I am so happy to see you again. I hope you are well and happy, oh Empress of the TPBDC!

I've never been fond of the tight at the thighs, full below the knee shirts for dancing. They look restrictive and remind me of costumes worn by torch singers fifty years ago.

Last edited:

Amulya

Seems I can’t post multiple, I have a few new ones, will post separately

Attachments

• F84A0F2D-ECB8-43C5-93AD-7031C2C0CD83.jpg
    F84A0F2D-ECB8-43C5-93AD-7031C2C0CD83.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 15

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Mermaid skirts are pretty but probably also restrictive?

Evidently, a former leader of the troupe I joined here in Florida decreed a Mermaid skirt costume of some kind. Apparently, these skirts only looked good on the leader, and everybody else hated them. Not sure what the whole story is, as I've never seen the skirts in question, but bringing it up gets scowls and quotations from "The Sailor's Guide to Magic Words and Incantations"!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
No its not, but then again, I wasn't there.

There was another, vaguely similar situation in California where the instructor decided on some kind of "flower costume", with parasol. Apparently, it had artificial flowers all over the place. Two of my dance sisters were in the troupe involved, and to this day, if I bring it up: "How about that flower costume?", they'll both reply, "You mean that ****ING FLOWER COSTUME?!?!?" One of them actually burned hers, I think the other threw it away.

The instructor in question apparently kept on trying to resurrect the costume and dance that went with it. Everybody would quit until the idea went away, then re-join! I guess eventually, the idea died out for good.

Shanazel

Torch singers specialize in songs of unrequited love. Often depicted in slinky evening gowns, grasping a microphone in both hands, crooning into it passionately.

Greek Bonfire

I'm not a big fan of ruffles to begin with but this looks like the seam tore at the hip leaving a gaping hole while the ruffle slid sideways off her hip.

A little ruffling is tolerable more in the actual lower skirt area but I prefer fringe on the hips. As for mermaid, I had one that was so comfortable I could've slept in it. But it is not flattering to many body types so no costume should ever be forced on any dancer.

Don't get me started on parasols...