Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

The Smoke and Mirrors one! And the Prestige Eman is very elegant! I wonder where you can buy a thing like that black see through covering part of the costume. I want something like that to cover with crystals as an extra dimention to a costume (and for winter costuming :lol:), I think Sugar Petals might have them, but theirs are not sheer like this Dahlal one.

Well, at least its not a crotch:

Another... thought provoking piece:

Belly Dancing Eye Belts Hand Made | eBay

and a veil...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belly-Dance...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5f76136992

That above one has been around for ages! o_O

The eye-scarf needs wiggly eyes!!!!

Amulya

What I find very irritating about the Dahlal site is that the enlarged pictures are still tiny. If you decide to buy an expensive costume, you'd want close ups.

I have discovered something very dissapointing about Emans :( : the lining is not sewn in but glued in. So the edges of the lining aren't nicely tucked in. And the glue is clearly visible. I don't know how the skirts look from the inside, but I guess there wouldn't be any nice lining.
I don't understand because the costume in this picture is otherwise really amazing. I was thinking of buying it, but the color wasn't right for me and the cups were too small. If I bought it I would have replaced the lining (and the pillow :lol:)

Look at the last picture, isn't the beading beautiful?

Last edited:

LunaXJJ

Dahlal has AMAZING costumes. I just wish you could share individual outfits instead of it always linking bad to the category. :(

Shanazel

The beading is glorious, but GLUE???? :shok::shok::shok:

Anathema, stigmatized, and just downright sloppy workmanship. I am shocked, shocked, I tell you. For what one of those costumes costs a glue gun should never be allowed in the same workroom.:naghty:

gisela

Super Moderator
My Eman is all sewn, I was actually sitting next to Eman herself on the couch while she was sewing the lining in. And tight lycra skirts usually don't have lining, do they? I've never seen one with lining.
I certainly don't approve of the glue in the pictures Amulya posted but I suspect it is due to the spikey edge. Just wanted to say that there are loads of Emans that are sewn properly.

Shanazel

Well, that's good to know. Spikes or not, the idea of using glue on a costume horrifies the purists among us. How cool that you got to watch Eman sew your costume, though!

Amulya

My Eman is all sewn, I was actually sitting next to Eman herself on the couch while she was sewing the lining in. And tight lycra skirts usually don't have lining, do they? I've never seen one with lining.
I certainly don't approve of the glue in the pictures Amulya posted but I suspect it is due to the spikey edge. Just wanted to say that there are loads of Emans that are sewn properly.

Does she do all the costumes herself?

I am crazy: I am doing lining in the skirt part even though there is a full skirt; I am puttin a wrap for the hips part. I am LINING the hip wrap. Tell me I am insane :lol:

I don't like the idea of no lining in the skirt where the embellishments are because the skirt can sag out due to weight and if I am prone to step into a skirt and get my toe stuck in the treads....

Last edited:

Daimona

I am crazy: I am doing lining in the skirt part even though there is a full skirt; I am puttin a wrap for the hips part. I am LINING the hip wrap. Tell me I am insane :lol:

I don't like the idea of no lining in the skirt where the embellishments are because the skirt can sag out due to weight and if I am prone to step into a skirt and get my toe stuck in the treads....

Amulya: You are incredibly insane for preferring good workmanship.. :lol:
Isn't that thought-provoking? :lol:

Shanazel

This isn't a bd outfit but I'm posting it because it reminds me of those gartered leggings some trial dancers wear. and I thought it might give some folks valuable new recycling ideas.

View attachment 4985

Amulya

Bwhahahahaha *snort*!!!!

Got some more:

1.) ugh!
2.) what is that thing that's popping up from the belt?
3.) opinions? I find it hiddeous, but maybe others like it?
4 & 5.) would this cotume tangle badly? From close-up it looks badly made
6.) EBay Germany
7 & 8.) I like this skirt and belt, but it's very strange this seller only has the skirt/belt versions for sale in many different colors. No bra's. If you look at the second picture you can see there is some sort of top in the same fabric. But why not sell a whole set? What is a dancer going to do with half a costume :confused: (there is fringe hanging from the ties, weird)

Last edited:

Amulya

You're right, my eyesight is so bad I thought it was some sort of too big belly cover with belt! (or I have seen too many strange belly dance costumes that my mind has started to invent things on its own...)