Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Shanazel

Spikes would go along way toward grab-prevention.:D

Back in the day (circa 1974), underwire bras were not as well made as they are now and occasionally I'd get a wire poking up center front. I worked for Farm Machinery when I was in college and was the only female they'd ever had work there. One day the mechanic, a very gentlemanly fellow, asked me what was stuck through the front of my sweatshirt. Yes, friends, an underwire was making a break for it. I explained briefly and turned my back to take care of the wayward wire. As he walked away I heard him mumble something about modern women and booby traps. :lol:

Amulya

LOL Shan!

I heard that that those 60's cone bikini bra's and bathing suit bra's would point inwards after women lay down on their stomach at the beach and had to pop them back when getting up. Hahahahaha!

LadyLoba

I love this one

Bra & Belt Set with Sequins & Beads only

I love the simplicity and versitality of this. It's the bra and belt set I'm going to get when I finally start actually buying costumes. It's basic, so you could add accessories and change skirts to vary the look, and it looks like it would be flattering to many different figure types.

LunaXJJ

Центр обновления Opera Mini

Probably made by Conen the Boobarian, doncha think?

Is there a person in there somewhere? :lol:

Oui, would people try to finish costumes they make for etsy? Most just looks like pretty lingerie.

Wtf?

Belly dance top? That isn't wearable anywhere.

Pasties, always a favorite:

This is just awesome!

Last edited:

LunaXJJ

Sorry to double post, but I had too many images to add these few wtf costumes:

Titled Teen Vixen belly Dancer. If my teen was trying to dress as a "vixen" I would whoop her ass. lol

Before you ask, yes, the following is listed as a belly dance costume.

Amulya

Hahahaha, some more weird stuff there! That last one for the all American belly dancer? LOL! at least those bra's have proper straps, but they still look like lingerie. The shower curtain isn't bad, but a bit weird spot to have a belly dance image. That legging!!!!!

LunaXJJ

moved to a more suitable thread :)

Is a top with sleeves this length:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Ok with lower arm sleeves like this:
New Belly Dance Costume Accessory Sequins Elastic Gloves Sleeves 1 Pair 40cm | eBay

Or would that just look weird? I just have a thing for sleeves like that. XD

It's be with a black spiral skirt, black and silver hip scarf, and the flower thing I showed in another thread. Plus probably a silver necklace to make up for the huge v-neck in in the top, and my lack of boobs. lol

Here's the skirt, and hip scarf if it helps get an idea of the overall costume I'm working on:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/belly-dance...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item9bff272df3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130606044408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:

Darshiva

the skirt, top & hipscarf together make a very cute beginner costume (and I do love that skirt!) but I wouldn't use the gauntlets with the top, it will look weird. Go with some nice bracelets instead and save the gauntlets for a more strappy costume.

Daimona

Here is something for you, Shanazel:
- - 19 - (although, I have a feeling you would do a costume like this even better)

Last edited:

Amulya

I love the green costume in this clip:

The clip itself is very strange, I don't understand the piece, but maybe she cut it up and the story line got lost?

Amulya

I understood it was an intrepretation of that story, but I didn't understand the rolling over the floor.

Shanazel

Here is something for you, Shanazel:
- - 19 - (although, I have a feeling you would do a costume like this even better)

I can't find numbers on the photos. You mean the tamborine girl costume (which I love) or the cowgirl costume (which makes me snort in a most unlady-like manner)?

I'm not too interested in storyline belly dances but that was lovely!

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Does resemble Jabba the hut a bit . . . (note to self: DON'T, just DON'T google images of Jabba ever again! There are a lot of pics comparing real people to him, and the one of the naked heavy man with whip cream in his lap CANNOT BE UNSEEN! EYE BLEACH!)

(snip)
-More extreme thought provoking in my opinion:

seriously, THIS? Or THIS? Maybe it's not meant to be a belly dance costume, this here
And this is rather unique, I don't like it, but the beading is skilled I must say. Belt without the weird skirt pants thing and with a normal skirt would look good.
The pant styling seems very Indian to me. I have seen the deep crotched heavy cuffed pantaloons on a lot of traditional Indian dress. Makes for odd BD fusion, IMHO.

PracticalDancer

Thanks. I think I'll get a pretty slave bracelet to get that gloved feeling, plus it'll be cheaper. :)

Admittedly off topic; but, I have to share: try looking through Jessica's pages at Slave bracelets by the Vintage Angel. She makes GORGEOUS jewelry, works with you for custom pieces, and provides excellent customer service. I found her through facebook and cherish the pieces she has made for me. One note, though: the cabachons do make her bracelets heavy. If you have a small wrist, like I do, it can make the bracelet move to put the heavy side downwards. Therefore, I don't dance in her pieces; but, I save them for special occasions . . .

back to topic!