Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

The red appliqué thingies look like weirdly placed nipples too and that crotch target isn't a good idea either. But it could be saved maybe? By moving the decorations and adding some extra red so it's not just a dot that looks out of place?

Shanazel

My mind is still fighting off a migraine- that chiffon is the exact color included in my auras. It might look gorgeous on a redhead, though I'd be hard pressed to watch it in action.

I don't know if it could be saved as a collective costume. There's too much going on: startling color, too many tons of fringe (and I like fringe), the fishnet gauntlets, the all but nonexistent skirt. Separating the pieces and combining them with calmer pieces would help. One could remove all the drapes and swags from the bra to see what was underneath but I'd probably end up scrapping it for materials.

Daimona

No wonder they'd use that cape with it - although, it probably works ok as a cover up between sets... ;)

Maybe this color could look nicer next to a dark-tanned skin?

The upper part of the belt isn't too bad (i.e. if it actually is a belt...), but the fringed shape in the front center....

Anyway
1. Replace "skirt" with a proper skirt.
2. Remove center part of belt (or make it wider).
3. Remove fishnet gauntles (I had an idea that if the fishnet theme could be repeated other places as well, but the more I look at the fishnet, the less I like them and the fishnet even seems to be broken).
4. Remove fringe drapes from bra.
5. Remove nipple fringes from bra.

Does this sum it up ok? Seems like I more or less agree with Shanazel.

Ariadne

Maybe this color could look nicer next to a dark-tanned skin?
I think on someone with darker skin the colors of the set and the bright yellow skirt and veil would be gorgeous... it's the overabundance of poorly planned fringe that's the issue.

2. Remove center part of belt (or make it wider).
4. Remove fringe drapes from bra.
5. Remove nipple fringes from bra.

Pretty much this at a minimum. Maybe you could use the fringe you remove from the bra to fix the belt?

3. Remove fishnet gauntles (I had an idea that if the fishnet theme could be repeated other places as well, but the more I look at the fishnet, the less I like them and the fishnet even seems to be broken).
I'm not sure they're broken so much as poorly made, it might be fixable. And again on someone with darker skin it might look really good.

Shanazel

Here are some others I came across after Suzanne Azhar asked about current costumes on another thread and I got curious. I really want to like the royal blue dress in the second photos but the nude panel in the front seems out of proportion to the rest of the dress, perhaps because of the light/dark contrast? The black flits to the dark side of good taste but I like it quite a lot. Wearing it with a body stocking would look nicer than seeing the nude bra underneath. I also like the gold, black and red costume. I'm trying to decide how I'd save the snake costumes but haven't come up with anything except smaller snakes and no ruffles.

Look at the sheer hems with stiff edging. Pretty!

ug bd 1.jpgug bd 2.jpgug bd 3.jpgug bd 4.jpgug bd.jpg

Last edited:

Ariadne

I really want to like the royal blue dress in the second photos but the nude panel in the front seems out of proportion to the rest of the dress, perhaps because of the light/dark contrast?
I think it is actually the fault of the stiff hem. It's forcing it to go wide where normally an insert like that would be flirty.

I rather like the red, gold and black myself. It has attitude. I also really like the sheer hems with stiff edging on the blue and black skirt. If that's the newest fad I won't complain. As usual some will be better then others but it is a nice touch.
I'm trying to decide how I'd save the snake costumes but haven't come up with anything except smaller snakes and no ruffles.
To me it's the dangling heads and tail that doesn't work. Maybe if they looped back to follow the line of the costume?

Shanazel

Hmm, could be right about the dark blue/nude costume. I'd be happier if the top of the insert was moved about four inches toward the hip, too.

Shanazel

I think so. Amazing how much difference just a couple of inches either direction can make.

I keep looking at the black costume. Really like that which surprises me since I'm such a sweet girl with no Dark Side or naughty tendencies. :D

Ariadne

It does look pretty cool. You could think of the cut outs as an opportunity for layering since that lower one shows far to much in the crotch as well.

Suzanne Azhaar

Oh my. Simple elegance of this gown has my attention.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
The mandalas with the bead strings don't do it for me though. An easy fix, otherwise a nice cossie. NOT that I have the requisite anatomy for it!

Shanazel

Whadaya think? I love the purple and green though I'd replace the purple thingies between cups and at side of belt with something that doesn't look so tacked-on. The red, gold, and black I almost like. The placement and length of the drapes on the cups visually square the bra off in a way I don't care for and those big sequins always look a little like poor girl's coins to me.

BD costume.jpgzzdress.jpg