Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Ariadne

I think that might be a train that has been clipped up to be out of the way. If so you would just have to shorten the skirt.

Shanazel

We haven't had a discussion-worthy costume in a while. What do you think of this one?
[video=youtube;Ne6tkT-hZ_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne6tkT-hZ_w[/video]

Darshiva

It reminds me a lot of the latin/ballroom costumes. The Russians are certainly doing their best to take bellydance into the professional dance realm, aren't they? In a way that makes me happy because it's opening the way for bellydance to be a respected form of dance and distance itself from the hoochy coochy reputation, but at the same time a lot of the essence of traditional bellydance is lost from it. It might be the way forward, but I do hope the origins of bellydance aren't completely lost from it. :)

Ariadne

It is certainly unique. It makes me think Greecian toga.
I was a little worried that she would slip on the bottom though. The length is to long for those slippers.

I have to agree Darshiva. I'm glad to see what is being done in BD by the Russians but worry something might be being lost.

Amulya

Yes that would make more sense. Still, I don't think it looks nice enough for burlesque. Maybe for a comedy thing?

Ariadne

It makes me think of DC's Harlequin even though it's not a match to any of the costumes I've seen. Maybe because the two piece version is becoming more popular.

Roshanna

Thoughts have been provoked.

View attachment 10908

Filed under "nice general idea, doesn't work in execution". I like the colours, motif & overall shape of the thing, but the placement of the flowers and the choice of those weird huge pink beads is really unfortunate.

I also don't think the belly drape quite works - it doesn't quite fit with the rest somehow, although presumably it's to match the ones on the legs. I think a single drape from one side to the other would have looked better than the double one.