Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't do a belly flutter, please help?

I've been trying and trying and trying and am getting very frustrated. All the advice I've gotten from people and videos don't help either. I don't know how to use my diaphram to make the belly flutter. I know what the diaphram is and what it does but that doesn't help me in the least bit. Laying in the tub and practicing doesn't help either. All I end up doing is tensing my abs or back muscles and that's not it either. Also so heard its like laughing while holding your breathe well all that does is tense my abs and shakes my whole chest. Its so frustrating and I feel defeated :-(. Please please help me someone!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you're doing it right but are being a bit impatient about getting the crispness you require. Keep at it. Do the exercises slowly and gradually build up speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Darshiva.
    Have you tried doing it while in bed so the rest of you could relax when you are practicing it?
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Relax, have a seat, take a few deep breaths... then hiccup.

A flutter is just like a hiccup, except many hiccups in a fast succession. Practice "hiccuping" slowly, one at a time. Speed up once you have that down.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another "trick" which may or may not work: Try closing your throat then inhaling. Or try a very shallow, rapid pant. In any case, make sure your abs are very relaxed.

Post Thanks / Like

My dance teacher Hasani says to keep at it and that you will get it, lose it, and get it again before you fully learn how to do flutters. The way I practice is to say "ha ha ha" as hard as I can and sometimes it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Ismaila, that's a good one! One of my students laughs through her belly, so to speak, and she found that method very useful for learning a flutter properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    Ismaila, that's a good one! One of my students laughs through her belly, so to speak, and she found that method very useful for learning a flutter properly.
    Thank you. That is also a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria R View Post
    I've been trying and trying and trying and am getting very frustrated. All the advice I've gotten from people and videos don't help either. I don't know how to use my diaphram to make the belly flutter. I know what the diaphram is and what it does but that doesn't help me in the least bit. Laying in the tub and practicing doesn't help either. All I end up doing is tensing my abs or back muscles and that's not it either. Also so heard its like laughing while holding your breathe well all that does is tense my abs and shakes my whole chest. Its so frustrating and I feel defeated :-(. Please please help me someone!
    I actually JUST figured out how to do these myself last month. Literally, I was doing the same thing as you, I'd suck in a short breath and then contract my diaphragm like I was taught, and I could feel it contracting but nothing was happening on the outside of my stomach. (I was taught similar to what some of the other dancers posted, where you inhale a little air, and then close your throat so no air gets in your lungs, but you keep pulling with your diaphragm as if you're trying to suck in more air, and that vaccum creates the flutter movement.)

What helped me was, when I took in that first short inhale, to actually relax my stomach outwards, sort of like a yoga breath, where when you inhale you push your stomach out. Then, when I pulled up and in with my diaphragm, my stomach muscles were relaxed, so the contraction actually pulled at them and the movement became visible. I think what I was doing was contracting my belly muscles when I inhaled, which made it impossible for the flutter to be seen because everything was already tense. Also, try not to lift your ribs up when you flutter; if you concentrate on keeping them down and your shoulder blades pressed down, you'll also force those muscles to relax a little more and it'll be easier to pull your diaphragm up towards your ribs if they're not pulled up.

Good luck!! It's super exciting when you see it happen for the first time Let us know if you get it!
    Last edited by Avariel; 11-05-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying to my thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast