Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    When Pat Robertson tells you you're too extreme and you need to lay off the radical comments, yeah I consider that hijacking.

Pat Robertson Says GOP Getting Too 'Extreme' To Win Election

Wow. Talk about taking it out of context and splicing a video to create the impression you want.

I found the un-spliced video and he is not calling the candidates extreme. It was simply the usual "you have to appeal to both sides of the political spectrum to win the election" we hear on the news every 4 years. Run on issues specific to one side of the political spectrum (and criticize the other candidates) and in the general election the other side will use it against you (no duh). His statement is actually rather hypocritical since none of the issues he was criticizing the candidates for talking about are any different from things he himself has supported, he's just saying that they shouldn't say it so they can get elected.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I agree with Pat 100%. I'd love to see a Republican candidate actually tackling fiscal issues from the conservative viewpoint without also dragging religion or their almost universal contempt for science into the fray.

There are many positions and issues in our nation I would like to see addressed with a conservative plan, but just when I find a candidate who doesn't sound like a raving lunatic, he or she launches into a diatribe about vaccine conspiracies or evolution or prayer in school. I'm sick of it, and I'm not the only registered Republican who feels that way.

The religious right has hijacked a lot more than the concept of "patriotism." They're poisoning the concepts of critical thinking, social justice, and scientific literacy, while desperately attempting to create "Bible-based" foreign and domestic policy. This has NOTHING to do with conservatism, and as I said, I'm sick of seeing a relatively small group of wealthy and very mouthy people redrawing the party line.

Fortunately I can still speak with my vote, and my campaign donations. I strongly suggest every American (no matter what political party you ally towards) also use these tools to demand we take back our society from extremists of any kind.

This is my last comment on the matter:

Writer Harlan Ellison once said "Not everyone is entitled to an opinion. But everyone IS entitled to an informed opinion." When people like Victoria Jackson actually go back to school and LEARN something about which they speak, then I won't hope she somehow loses her ability to speak her primary language. But until that time, I hold her and her deliberate and intentional ignorance in the highest contempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Interesting how the far right try to hijack patriotism isn't it
    I am far right and I am not like this. I can understand your frustration though.

Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately I can still speak with my vote, and my campaign donations.
    I will agree with you one that one thing since it is something I try to encourage everyone to do no matter who they support.

As for the rest of your post I can think of no polite way to respond so I will simply move on instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I agree with Pat 100%. I'd love to see a Republican candidate actually tackling fiscal issues from the conservative viewpoint without also dragging religion or their almost universal contempt for science into the fray.

There are many positions and issues in our nation I would like to see addressed with a conservative plan, but just when I find a candidate who doesn't sound like a raving lunatic, he or she launches into a diatribe about vaccine conspiracies or evolution or prayer in school. I'm sick of it, and I'm not the only registered Republican who feels that way.

The religious right has hijacked a lot more than the concept of "patriotism." They're poisoning the concepts of critical thinking, social justice, and scientific literacy, while desperately attempting to create "Bible-based" foreign and domestic policy. This has NOTHING to do with conservatism, and as I said, I'm sick of seeing a relatively small group of wealthy and very mouthy people redrawing the party line.

Fortunately I can still speak with my vote, and my campaign donations. I strongly suggest every American (no matter what political party you ally towards) also use these tools to demand we take back our society from extremists of any kind.

This is my last comment on the matter:

Writer Harlan Ellison once said "Not everyone is entitled to an opinion. But everyone IS entitled to an informed opinion." When people like Victoria Jackson actually go back to school and LEARN something about which they speak, then I won't hope she somehow loses her ability to speak her primary language. But until that time, I hold her and her deliberate and intentional ignorance in the highest contempt.
    This.

This is why my wife and I left the Republican party in disgust. Vote Libertarian!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    This.

This is why my wife and I left the Republican party in disgust. Vote Libertarian!
    Unlike some other countries, third parties in the US have little better than a snowflake's chance in hell. Three years ago I drove to the polls still undecided as to which one I should throw my vote away on; the conservative ex-Republican running as a Libertarian, or another honest man running on the Green Party ticket. In the end I voted for an old guard Republican whom I never really liked just to keep the Democrat out of office......for all the good that it did. If we're going to tout ourselves as the greatest country ever, shouldn't we have more than a binary Coke-Pepsi choice, like England does? Come on, people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Unlike some other countries, third parties in the US have little better than a snowflake's chance in hell.
    This is, unfortunately, true enough. But it doesn't have to stay that way - I've told many people that if EVERYONE would vote their conscience instead of voting for who they thought was going to win, the world would be a much better (and different!) place.
    If we're going to tout ourselves as the greatest country ever, shouldn't we have more than a binary Coke-Pepsi choice, like England does? Come on, people.
    "Come on" indeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12