I am searching for Classical Arabic music. Any country will do.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm told if you have an emusic account (I don't, but I will probably get one because this is a great deal) -- then you can get a TON of Hafez, Wahab, and Farid al-Atrache music for dirt cheap pricing. These are the original recordings and not necessarily the "danceable" music, but I love that kind of thing.

Also check out www.maqam.com for CDs and individual downloads as well as Maqam radio, which streams a lot of the classical music. I think they also have sound samples of many of the songs.

Dahlal Internationale : Welcome! sells a lot of the good stuff too, and if you email them and tell them what you like, they can often suggest other artists or other arrangements.

For danceable versions of classic songs, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "Voices of the Stars" label which Dahlal carries. It's Lebanese arrangements of a lot of great classic songs. Try searching for "Bellydance with Farid al-Atrache" on Dahlal to see an example of one of those CDs. The covers are horrid, but the music is full orchestral and spectacular.

www.hollywoodmusiccenter.com has a lot of classical CDs, but some of their stuff is kind of cheesy remakes. Some of it is fab, so you might want to preview any of their CDs on iTunes or Amazon first before you buy.

Once you have a favorite artist or composer, plug their names into the iTunes store or Amazon and check out what people who bought that song ALSO bought. That's a great way to discover new music that is related to your original search.

For classic American Cabaret versions of Arab standards, check out "Radio Bastet" which is a podcast on iTunes. It's free, and some of the music is really stellar.

I'm told if you have an emusic account (I don't, but I will probably get one because this is a great deal) -- then you can get a TON of Hafez, Wahab, and Farid al-Atrache music for dirt cheap pricing. These are the original recordings and not necessarily the "danceable" music, but I love that kind of thing.

Also check out Arabic Music MP3, Arabic Music Songs, Arabic Movies, Belly Dance for CDs and individual downloads as well as Maqam radio, which streams a lot of the classical music. I think they also have sound samples of many of the songs.

Dahlal Internationale : Welcome! sells a lot of the good stuff too, and if you email them and tell them what you like, they can often suggest other artists or other arrangements.

For danceable versions of classic songs, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "Voices of the Stars" label which Dahlal carries. It's Lebanese arrangements of a lot of great classic songs. Try searching for "Bellydance with Farid al-Atrache" on Dahlal to see an example of one of those CDs. The covers are horrid, but the music is full orchestral and spectacular.

Hollywood Music Center has a lot of classical CDs, but some of their stuff is kind of cheesy remakes. Some of it is fab, so you might want to preview any of their CDs on iTunes or Amazon first before you buy.

Once you have a favorite artist or composer, plug their names into the iTunes store or Amazon and check out what people who bought that song ALSO bought. That's a great way to discover new music that is related to your original search.

For classic American Cabaret versions of Arab standards, check out "Radio Bastet" which is a podcast on iTunes. It's free, and some of the music is really stellar.
Thank you sweetie. I will check those out.

Starmouth

If you just want to try out a few artists and see who you like, you can quite often download single tracks from Amazon. They seem to have a fair amount of Oum Kalthoum, although I didn't look to see how much of it was remixes.