Post Thanks / Like

Default Remember, remember, the earthquakes in November

Just a little after 2 am this morning, the central area of my state was hit by a 4.7 earthquake. About half an hour ago, we got hit with a 5.2. It's not unusual for there to be earthquakes in my state, but they've always been so low on the Richter scale that they were almost never felt. They seem to be getting worse.

USGS: 3 earthquakes recorded near Prague - Shawnee, OK - The Shawnee News-Star

I tried to joke around a bit on Facebook last night in order to deal with my nerves, but the humor is fast wearing thin.

No one has been hurt so far (well, I'm hoping no one was hurt half an hour ago; I haven't been able to pull up any recent updates on the latest one), but I heard on a news commercial that some people did suffer a bit of minor damage.

Even though my nerves are a bit shaken (no pun intended this time), it's not anywhere as bad as what my friends around the world have suffered in the past year or two. I can't imagine what it must be like to go through a devastating killer quake.

Post Thanks / Like

The 2 emails I have received from USGS say that the OK EQs were 5.2 & 5.6 on the map there is a 2.7 & 4.7. Maybe the original emails have been revised that happens quite a bit.

This report say 6 EQs have struck OK since midnight!
    Oklahoma Earthquakes Today Strike Region

One thing, lots of small ones help release a lot of pressure, so there is less likelihood of a major one happening. They are scary when you are not use to them.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are. :/ My hubby thinks the whole thing is funny, but its nerve wracking, in my opinion. I hope you're right about the earth releasing pressure, though. I hate to imagine these things getting worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! They are freaky, aren't they? I'm glad that everyone is OK so far. It's weird when you feel like you can't trust the ground you walk on. I live in Missouri, and we don't get them often but I hate when we do.

I just watched a show about Japan's recent quakes, and I can't even imagine the double devastation - first the quake and then the tsunami.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband is a "recovering geologist." His reaction to the earthquakes we've had is a resounding, "Aaaaaalllll riiiight! We're having an earthquake."

Geologists aren't like the rest of us.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you're safe and sound. The news of the earthquake took me by surprise when someone mentioned it during service yesterday.

This wasn't as devastating as the recent Turkish earthquakes, but I can feel paranoia creeping up. There seems to be an overall increase in frequency and severity globally. That doesn't seem good at all ... but I'm no geologist, so what do I know?

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say. It's probably not coincidental that a period of a lot of seismic activity has far-reaching effects...after all, the plate movements are all connected. But it could easily settle down again for the same reasons. We notice it because of the impact it has on us.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "My gosh, we haven't had an earthquake in a long time. I wonder what's wrong?"