How do you learn from Raqia Hassan Tech DVDs?

imposterpockets

I just got my first Raqia Hassan Technique DVD (I went with vol. 8 for my first purchase) and I'm a little daunted by the idea of trying to learn the material on this. I am more familiar with instructional DVDs that break everything down and guide you through the pieces. This DVD has a few breakdowns, but the majority of it is dancers demonstrating choreographies to music at full speed, one after another.

I would love to hear how other dancers learn from these DVDs. I'm guessing the pause button on the remote is essential as well as a familiarity with belly dance moves in general.

Tips? Insights? Help?

Kashmir

I take it you haven't done a workshop with an Egyptian teacher? Not for the fainthearted - or a beginner - especially Raqia or Randa. Personally I wouldn't tackle any Egyptian teacher I haven't done a workshop with. Ideally the exact workshop in the DVD!

In a DVD it is very hard to see small detail - and you don't have as much repetition as in a real workshop which might run to 3-6 hours. (In most cases you haven't missed asking questions on technique - this is expected prior to the workshop)

So, now you have it what do you do?
  • Get as big a screen as possible.
  • Take small bytes - literally a few seconds unless there is repetition (I once tried to learn a choreography from an unknown teacher and it took over an hour just to break down the first minute - not learn it just to work out exactly what was going on).
  • Watch the feet and legs - there is a good reason she wears those tights - and the hips - and the abs. Arms and face shouldn't be ignored - but you need to have your weight in the right place and be facing the right direction.
  • Consider watching the action through a mirror if you want to perform it in the same direction as choreographed
  • Use a mirror and a video to check you are doing what she is

Consider Shareen el Safy for your next Egyptian foray - she is very, very good at breaking down movements as most Westerners expect. Actually, if you do - then go back to Raqia's DVD and it might make more sense.

Good luck!

Last edited:

imposterpockets

Thank you for the insight. Small bites will definitely be essential as well as just understanding how to know what to look for in order to see it.

Consider Shareen el Safy for your next Egyptian foray - she is very, very good at breaking down movements as most Westerners expect.

I have been browsing the Shareen el Safy DVD catalog and it is quite extensive. Do you have particular ones that you would recommend? I've seen reviewers saying they are awesome and other reviewers saying they have poor lighting and camera work (maybe talking about older ones?).

I appreciate all the help you can give. :)

Kashmir

I have been browsing the Shareen el Safy DVD catalog and it is quite extensive. Do you have particular ones that you would recommend? I've seen reviewers saying they are awesome and other reviewers saying they have poor lighting and camera work (maybe talking about older ones?).
Shareen delivers content rather than flash. Yes, many people find her delivery slow - she drops in history as she teaches each move - and she hasn't splashed money about for lighting or graphics - but the content is there. She teaches. I have three of her older tapes (literally) which I have transfered to DVD. Each has many, many moves.