Tips needed for 'eye problem'

Avariel

I have no mirrors, except in the studio downstairs that's shared with all the residents here. I should go there more often, but I feel quite uncomfortable being watched when practising. At home I tend to pretend there is an audience, since I know the space it is so much easier to keep my eyes up.

Hmmm. So of this doesn't apply to you, please feel free to ignore me and pat me on my head and send me on my way; )

But the first thing that comes to mind is that it seems like it would be hard to refine and practice properly without a mirror to watch yourself dance and make those tiny corrections you make when you can see yourself perform different moves. I think most dancers have weird quirks that display when they dance or perform, and they happen because we're not so drilled in what we're doing that we can do it without thinking about it. Thinking and dancing is like drinking and driving; if you're having to concentrate on what your next move is, you sometimes do things while you internalize that you don't mean to do, and it takes away from your presence on stage. I tend to curl my fingers up and drop my arms a little; a friend of mine flips her hand up and down (which is funny, but very disconcerting to her, oops!) And a lot of people look down towards the floor. It's sort of...something you do while "You" go inside your brain to look for the next bit of choreography. Or if you're improv dancing, to think about what you're going to do next.

I can't assume how much you practice, and I imagine you practice quite a lot. But the best performances that I've personally had, have been the ones where I've practiced and drilled so much that the moves are second nature, and I can actually expend my energy projecting and emoting to the audience, meeting their eyes, looking from face to face, etc, instead of having to think about what comes next in the dance. The ones where I haven't practiced or haven't had as much preparation, my stage presence definitely suffers a little (as does my hand posture). So it may just be a matter of getting a few wall mirrors (I just have cheap tall ones from Fred Meyer in my basement lined up on the wall) and practicing in front of them in your own house, if only to ease your own mind that you're lookin gooooooood and can focus on emoting instead of trying to refine moves mid performance, because essentially, that's what we all try to do if it's not drilled. "My hips should go up like THIS, make sure my arms curve at the right angle, make sure I spin twice HERE"...etc. How can we possibly add "Make eye contact!" to that list?

Amulya

You're right about all those little bits, I film myself to check for those. Sometimes you don't even notice in a mirror, but on film... film is ruthless :p
I actually do the whole looking down when I walk as well. I am now trying to look forward more when I walk. There are always lots of obstacles in streets so a good way to train I think. And I just got to dance more.
Getting mirrors are a bit of an issue in this tiny appartment. Does anyone just have one mirror they put in the room where they practise? I could buy one and just put it there when needed.

Janene Aliza

Mirrors

You're right about all those little bits, I film myself to check for those. Sometimes you don't even notice in a mirror, but on film... film is ruthless :p
I actually do the whole looking down when I walk as well. I am now trying to look forward more when I walk. There are always lots of obstacles in streets so a good way to train I think. And I just got to dance more.
Getting mirrors are a bit of an issue in this tiny appartment. Does anyone just have one mirror they put in the room where they practise? I could buy one and just put it there when needed.

That's what I do: I have 2 tall, thin mirrors - I put one on the wall in front of me and one on the wall behind me in my apartment when I practice...

Avariel

HAHA!! So true ;)

Yeah! I used to have a small apartment and I bought 3 skinny door mirrors (like this except the $10 kind http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pu...YtCKgkkmUyAyFmil8RXakcpyWTdgn68eyEgtMdkb6soRg) and I'd push the coffee table against the wall in my living room so I'd have a clear space, and prop the mirrors up on the coffee table against the wall so that they were high enough to show my head and shoulders. When I was done practicing I'd take it all down and put the mirrors away. very jimmy rigged ;) It was small, but it worked.

Darshiva

I have a long, free-standing mirror that I use in conjunction with my tv(when it's off, it has enough reflective surface to be useful). It's not a perfect solution, but for $20 from a hardware store, I can't complain.

indrayu

Depends on your neighbours, but windows at night can be helpful too. The window in my kitchen is narrow, so it's good for practicing turns: if my reflection is still there, I haven't wobbled too far off the mark :confused:

seona

FWIW, When I practice at home I choose things at eye level to focus on/dance to. ie in my lounge I will pick out a painting on one wall, my speakers in the corner, my plant on a shelf on another wall and so on... I will focus my gaze to just these objects. I picked this tip up in a w/shop and found it really helped me to stop gazing at the floor lol!