Post Thanks / Like

Default Instruction Videos You'd Recommend

I really think I need to add some "how to" instruction videos to my collection. Of course I COULD just watch them on U-tube but being as I can ONLY view these at the library OR wait an hour for 30 seconds to load at home.....well you get the idea!

What videos would you recommend purchasing for someone who wanted to learn to shimmy better and upper torso, "snake arms" stuff????

Indigo S.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a quick suggestion - I really like Aziza's Hands, Arms and Poses - she has both simpler things as well as challenging stuff there.

But, here is a lot to read on insturctional DVDs, if you have the time and energy http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...onal-dvds.html

Post Thanks / Like

You're a beginner aren't you? What instructional resources do you already have? (And what style are you learning?)

Post Thanks / Like

Cory Zamora's videos are great, breaking everything down, as well as incorporating zills into the beginner movements if you want. It's not required but you get the option. I would highly recommend her videos from beginning to advanced. Here is her website and it is best to order from her directly: Belly Dancing By Zamoras - Bellydancing Guild, Bellydance Classes, Videos, Links and Photos, Gypsy History and Music

Post Thanks / Like

Keti Sharif's 1001 Bellydance Moves.

I know I'm something of a Keti fan girl, but bear with me on this one. The instruction is clear & concise, using kinesthetic, visual and aural methods for each move. The background is neutral and non-distracting. The costumes are a clear contrast to the background & show each move clearly. She also turns so that you can see each move from front, side & back.

If you're having issues with dance moves, there may be better instructors, but I believe that this is probably one of the better dvds because of the thought that Keti has put into making this as easy to follow as possible.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right about Keti's DVD, Darshiva.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am a beginner. I am taking classes but I want more "homework". ( Never thought I'd say that about ANYTHING!) I also LOVE my instructor but she has some physical issues with teaching the snake arms things because she wears wrist braces nearly constantly. ( And yet she still sews and makes outfits. )

Indigo S.

Post Thanks / Like

As a beginner I would really recommend sticking with DVD's intended for the absolute beginners. Many Beginner bellydance DVD's are really best for beginners who already have some experience.

The one DVD that gets the most recommendations is Jenna's "Bellydance Basics and Beyond: Technique for a Solid Foundation" and it really is that good. I don't think it covers snake arms (feel free to correct me anyone if I'm wrong) though I understand she's Egyptian style and that may have something to do with it. If you have an analytical mind you might want to check out Neon's "Instant Bellydancer: A Crash Course in Belly Dance 2-DVD Set". She breaks down all the basic moves (including snake arms) with diagrams, demonstrations, and practice drills but it's not for everyone. If you prefer the "follow the bouncing butt" method she also has a "Bellydance: First Steps - step-by-step belly dance instruction & 2 hours of non-stop practice for Total Beginners" that goes through two choreographies where she breaks them down into "combinations" (snake arms = dance-1 combo-4) and teaches you each move individually before putting it all together into a dance. For someone already receiving in-class instruction either could be a great addition. Another really good absolute beginner DVD is Autumn Ward's "Bellydance: Beautiful Technique from Step One - The Beginner's Path to Flawless Artistry" but again I don't think she covers snake arms.

It really does all depend on what style you are learning, how you learn best, and how much training you have already had. More information on those three things can help people steer you to a DVD that will suit you rather then us just giving a list of our personal favorites. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a beginner, I really liked Rachel Brice's drills and yoga DVD, even though tribal fusion wasn't what I was going for. I really liked her very muscular execution of the basic moves, and I believe it was her instruction and seeing her as an example that made my isolations nice and defined very early on.

Now, that DVD is just for basic isolation drills (and the yoga exercises tha Rachel feels are helpful), so there is nothing there on arms, steps, etc, but if you are just starting out I think it's best to focus on mastering isolations anyway before putting too much focus on these other things.

What I like about it is that you can use it as a 15-minute DVD, a 30-minute DVD, or a 45-minute DVD, so you make your choice depending on the amount of time you have at a given moment. Who doesn't have 15 minutes in a day? So you do it as a 30 or 45 minute practice when you can, and when you can't you just do it as 15 minutes. That's nice because it cuts down on slacking, and not practicing at all due to "lack of time."

Now, there are some stylistic differences on how she does the moves and how I do them now, now that I've developed into a more Egyptian style, but I thought the transition was easy to make.