Other Dances of the Belly called Bellydance?

Duvet

I've read with great interest a lot of threads on these forums on the history and styles of Bellydance, and they all show that the word 'bellydance' is a Western label, being a translation of the French 'danse de ventre'.

But I'm curious if anyone knows of any dance (anywhere in the world) that does actually call itself 'dance of the belly', or something similar, in its native language?

There is a 'bellybutton dance' called Heso Odori in Japan, but it is part of a carnival in Hokkaido, and looks like a comedy outfit rather than a dance (I've seen similar in Western carnivals).

- There's a lot of people with a lot of experience on these pages, and I'm really glad to be learning from you all.:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariadne

The Ouled Nail had a type of dance that was referred to that way but we have no idea what they actually called it so.... probably no. It seems to be a French naming thing that just spread.

Kashmir

I believe there is a style of Turkish folk dance where the dancer paints a face on their belly.

Last edited:

Pirika Repun

There is a 'bellybutton dance' called Heso Odori in Japan, but it is part of a carnival in Hokkaido, and looks like a comedy outfit rather than a dance (I've seen similar in Western carnivals).

I found this Japanese "Belly Dance" video, and this person do really good undulation! Most of "Belly Dance (Hara Odori)" is comedy way to do and wrote face on their belly to look like the face is talking or some movement! :lol:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I've edited the tile of this thread in order to make it more clear as to what the thread is about:D
~Mosaic

Duvet

Thanks Mosaic. I didn't know you could do that. I knew you could delete or move threads, but not edit the entries. I'm not familiar with forums.:rolleyes:. If it makes it clearer, good show.:)

Interesting Turkey and Japan have similar belly painting. But I think I've seen get ups like it in a Victorian photo of a carnival scene (its somewhere in the house - but can I find it?!!:confused:), and our local carnival has had similar. Wonder how widespread it is/was?

RahimaMJR

I haven't seen it but I've read about the ancient rhythm of Angola, the "semba," which is an undulation of the hips and belly and danced in celebration of harvest, births, marriages, etc. (Different than the Brazilian "samba," but one of its predecessors/contributors/influences).

Duvet

That's interesting, RahimaMJR. I've not heard of that. Does 'semba' mean 'belly'?
Looked up Semba dance on You-tube. Looks like Bellydancing for couples!

Duvet

Not sure if anyone is still interested, but there is a Brazilian/Angolan dance move called 'umbigada', which means belly blow/touch. The soloist, when she or he wants to change with the next soloist, approaches the chosen target and touches bellys with him or her, and passes the dance over.

More intriguingly there is an old tune called 'Pepper is Black', which dates from at least the 16th Century. In Welsh it is called 'sbonc bogel' which means 'leaping navel' or 'belly-jerk' and may refer to the dance performed to the music.
Any Welsh Bellydancers out there who fancy trying out the tune at the next hafla?

Last edited: