Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I too old?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donna marie View Post
    I am 53, soon 54 in January, and I was wondering if I was too old to become a bellydancer? I am a construction worker and I am very agile and flexible, and no one believes that I am 53 years old. I have never sun tanned and my spanish heritage lent alot to staying younger looking than my real age. I have no crows feet, or lines in my forehead and can easily pass for early to mid 40's. So I thought I might be able to get away with a young woman's dance. Belly dancing is an amazing art form and I never get tired of watching you ladies dance. My husband said I should take up the dance.
    Any advice would be helpful. I only wish I had taken this dance up in my 30's.
    I am happy I found this site.
    Who is the oldest professional bellydancer?
    I'm 55 now, and still do the odd gig. In fact, I received a call from a lady who'd hired me a couple of years ago, and wants me to dance at her husbands birthday party next year. I stopped dancing professionally for two reasons, Firstly, I was getting bored and older and realised that younger dancers were coming up and it felt right to 'retire' whilst I was still good, and secondly I got sick and tired of the bitchy backstabbing nonsense that often surrounds the professional scene.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    The oldest professional dancers I can think of are Morocco (must be now in her 70's?) and the mother of Suhaila Salimpour (don't know her age), but does she still dance?

I have often found that the statement of "no (belly)dancer is really good before the age of 40" (I have heard the version of 35 more often) is rather insulting for people who had a lot of life experience before that age (everybody has/had different lives). The same as I find it insulting that western culture is is youth-obsessed now. Age shouldn't matter
    Age does matter when you're talking being a paid professional, say in restaurants. I know the OP is perhaps not entirely focused on professional dancers, but everyone does seem to get their gussets in a twist over age.

Post Thanks / Like

The oldest professional dancers I can think of are Morocco (must be now in her 70's?) and the mother of Suhaila Salimpour (don't know her age), but does she still dance?
    But Morocco and Jamila started before they were 20. It may not be realistic to start late and assume a professional career is an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    But Morocco and Jamila started before they were 20. It may not be realistic to start late and assume a professional career is an option.
    Why not? I've known others who started much later and are making money on gigs. Donna Marie, if you love dancing, go for it. What have you got to lose? Just keep your day job - even young professional dancers need other outside income to break even.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharis View Post
    Age does matter when you're talking being a paid professional, say in restaurants. I know the OP is perhaps not entirely focused on professional dancers, but everyone does seem to get their gussets in a twist over age.

I didn't think of restaurants, there is a lot of discrimination when it comes to restaurant work when it comes to age, but not just age wise in a lot of other things too.
    I don't know if the OP was thinking of professional dancing, but she did ask who the oldest professional dancer is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    Why not? I've known others who started much later and are making money on gigs.
    Because the later you start the harder it is to get to a professional level. As you age you body can become injured or subject to diseases like arthritis both of which limit strength and ROM; you can pick up bad posture habits which can be very hard to break in part because your body adapts to the bad patterns; you may have more money but less time to work on your dance; lives become more complicated; brains and movement patterns get engrained in ways that are nothelpful. Most of this can be overcome with luck and dedication. But it's harder.

So, you start at 50 and you might be 60 by the time you are ready. The gigs open to a 40 year old are limited - 50 is harder - 60? And now, how long is your future professional dance career before a knee goes or a hip joint - or you just look too old for commercial work?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think of restaurants, there is a lot of discrimination when it comes to restaurant work when it comes to age, but not just age wise in a lot of other things too.
    I don't know if the OP was thinking of professional dancing, but she did ask who the oldest professional dancer is
    I agree with this part. There are other opportunities for older dancers in other venues; however, I was a good age when a hookah restaurant owner approached ME about dancing there. He preferred mature dancers because their work ethic was much better than many younger dancers.

Post Thanks / Like

No you are not too old. As long as you are healthy enough to dance, you should go for it. Do get a doctors permission first, but other then that, go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IsmailaGodHasHeard View Post
    No you are not too old. As long as you are healthy enough to dance, you should go for it. Do get a doctors permission first, but other then that, go for it.
    Um - are you saying older folk need a docs permission to dance? Why. I certainly don't need a docs permission to dance & all the other 50 + dancers don't need permission. Donna-Marie states she is healthy, so why does she need permission? Because we have hit the 1/2 century mark and above does not mean we are old and doddery far from it! I know of much younger people who are not as healthy as many of us older but wiser folk!

Everyone should have regular check-ups even 20 year olds just to make sure one's health is OK but unless you are ill I don't see the need for a doc's permission.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe belly dancers need a belly dance license? :P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast