Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Am I too old?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    Maybe belly dancers need a belly dance license? :P

Like a "License to Shimmy" ??

Post Thanks / Like

Or a James Bond thing, like "License to Drill."
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Um - are you saying older folk need a docs permission to dance? Why. I certainly don't need a docs permission to dance & all the other 50 + dancers don't need permission. Donna-Marie states she is healthy, so why does she need permission? Because we have hit the 1/2 century mark and above does not mean we are old and doddery far from it! I know of much younger people who are not as healthy as many of us older but wiser folk!

Everyone should have regular check-ups even 20 year olds just to make sure one's health is OK but unless you are ill I don't see the need for a doc's permission.
    ~Mosaic
    We had o 70+ woman in my class several times and currently we have a 60 year old student in my class and she is good. I agree, you shouldnt have to ask your doctors permission to dance based on your age...if thats the case many people who hit the 50+ mark should ask their doctors permission to have intercourse because that is way more involved and well I hope my little comment doesnt offend anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

And everybody who thinks a belly dancer needs a doctors permission, have a look at this video:

Aunt Rocky rocking the house! And she's way past 50 being in her 70's (she looks so young doesn't she?)

Post Thanks / Like

Donna marie (I like your name!) you are definitely not too old at 53, the two teachers at my school are in their fifties and they are still amazing dancers who look younger than what they really are and they still get professional performance work. Also in my school there have been 80 year old women dancing, so yes you can never be too old.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Too Old

About twelve years ago, a 50 year old woman came to my class to learn how to belly dance for the first time. It's been 12 years and she's still going strong. You're definitely not too old to begin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow! 50+ women are hard working in workplaces

and in their houseplaces and no-one ever cared abou their safety or to ask for a medical doctor's permission. And are they going to ask for a permission to dance and have fun?

How can we think even in such a cruel way?

However, if we do ever accept this, then all 50+ housewives, cleaners, nurses, elderly carers, factory workers should be under regular (and free) medical care!! if they prove unfit to dance, they should be probably unfit to work altogether and get a brave pension to be kept "not moving at all".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    Maybe belly dancers need a belly dance license? :P
    Q: If you're belly dancers, where are your badges?

A: Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!

Post Thanks / Like

donna marie, you have received some very good input here. I am curious to know what you have decided. If memory serves I had just sent a PM to Amulya in a botched attempt to identify some photos she posted when your question came in. I shut off the computer and went outside to pick up some nuts, and I thought about all the times I tried to help someone and failed, but they don't bother me nearly as much as the times I could have tried and did not, so I came back inside and replied.

At age 47 I walk faster than anyone else I know. When they pulled me off the operating table in '08 I could not walk at all, but I could still crawl faster than most people can walk. With practice I could probably run a 4-minute mile at age 50, if it burned within me to do so, but it does not. If it burns within you to dance, then you must dance.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Donna Marie was worried about being to old to start. But like Indigo Shimmer I like different things. NO ONE in my area, of Kansas, belly dances. I am trying to learn from "YOU TUBE". I think getting my belly to roll, may be my bigest problem, as I haven't found instructions for that yet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234