Would you email a dance studio owner to teach there?

farasharaks

I was wondering, would you email a studio and ask if they are interested in a bellydance instructor? What is the best way to contact a dance studio owner? Phone call, letter, is sending an email ok?

SidraK

I'd call and set up an appointment to meet in person. Make up a resume just as if you're applying for a job...previous dance training, any dance/fitness certification, teaching experience, etc.

You should be prepared with exactly what you'd be looking for. Are you wanting to be hired by the studio as an instructor? Rent space from them and teach classes independently or on some sort of commission basis? There will probably be questions about liability insurance, either your own, or whether you'd be covered by theirs. You might be expected to have a criminal records check if the studio teaches children, regardless of whether you will be teaching children. You might also be expected to have a First Aid course. If they are a busy studio, scheduling and studio space could be a concern.

Also, GP perceptions about belly dance as a legitimate art form are also present in the mainstream dance community. Do you have an exisiting relationship with the studio or any of their students?

Shanazel

I'd send a letter snail mail letting her know I was interested and would be calling for an appointment to discuss the matter. I'd use the letter to briefly outline my experience and I'd attach a resume as well. I'd follow up with a call after the letter had time to reach her.

Yes, I know that is the old fashioned way, but it is professional protocol of long standing and has its benefits. She knows I will be calling, knows I am qualified, and so will hopefully be more open to interviewing me and more patient should my call happen to interupt something.

Kashmir

I was wondering, would you email a studio and ask if they are interested in a bellydance instructor? What is the best way to contact a dance studio owner? Phone call, letter, is sending an email ok?
I think email should only be used to set up a face to face meeting where you are prepared to demonstrate that you know how to belly dance and also about warm-ups, cool-downs, and teaching methodology (for instance arrive with a term's lesson plans).

However, there is something to be said about writing a real letter as I delete a lot of spam and an email offering to teach could fall into that bucket very easily. If you ring, do your homework and don't phone durng or just before a class.

Good luck.

Darshiva

I actually did a face-to-face interview with my studio. I didn't call ahead or email (didn't have the contact numbers) but popped in with my resume and a long-term student (who was also a friend) to discuss the idea. I got very lucky. They hadn't started classes for the day so there was someone there to see me. All of the teachers as well as the headmaster/studio owner were there.

I showed my resume, demonstrated my skill, my student showed off what I'd taught her and took them through a very brief fun through of the differences between ballet & bellydance posture (ballet studio, got them into ballet posture and corrected them into bellydance - it really got them into the mindset and demonstrated that I both knew my stuff & could correct safely).

I got a rental agreement and my own key to the studio for my efforts. So on the basis of my experience, I'd say to definitely contact them to organise an in-person interview. I don't think that any studio worth it's salt will agree to hire/hire to someone they haven't seen can actually teach. It'd be way too risky to their reputation to do so sight unseen.

RahimaMJR

Personally, I think face to face is best. Even if it's just to drop off your resume--your physical presence can leave a favorable impression that is hard to get via email. SidraK gave good advice also--know ahead of time what you want to do and how you'll do it, but also be open minded to the needs and MO of the studio. I recommend for the first contact: face to face, follow up: email.

Also, by visiting the studio, you can take a look around and get a feel for the way things are done...some are more "technologically literate" than others, and you may be wasting your time sending an email to someone who never checks it or updates their website.

Additionally, a video, youtube clip, or testimonial (or in Darshiva's case, a student!) is also a good idea.

Amulya

I used to make a phone call and if there was interest, write a letter and then an appointment. Quite a process but it worked very well.

farasharaks

Thank you all! this is great advice, I'm going to mail then follow up with phone call, and stop by in person as well.

thanks great info!
:)