Is keeping a gig during my lunch hour at my regular job wrong?

lily_raks

Im glad the boss didnt have a problem with it...though I agree with the previous posts...as long as there is nothing in your contract that would forbid it, then it's up to you what you do on time that is unpaid and spent off company property.

I dont know if I have a truly informed answer to when I would dance. I have been "off" belly dance for a few weeks, and I think I'm only going to ever do it as a hobby. I dont anticipate anyone wanting to pay me to dance...but I would if I were offered an afternoon job.

Thanks for your answer. I was wondering if most dancers care to dance during the day because I know a few who dislike dancing during the bright day because they believe it isn't as glamorous or glamorous at all. Some say it is because the heavy make-up looks weird when it's too bright. My only complain is that I don't get to do the show I'm able to do when I dance at night because the space at the day time restaurant is so limited. I basically dance between tables and there are about two 8 feet spots where I could potentially do something worth a show or use props vs just dancing around the tables the whole time. It is not too much the light factor that makes me feel it isn't glamorous. It is more the fact that I am limited to what I can do. Any ideas for what to do in such a small space? Should I try bringing my props? I think this may be a question for yet another thread

Darshiva

Improv & personal interaction. Get in there, find the customers who look like they're really getting into it (without being all leering & all) and make a fuss over them (some really spectacular shimmies, etc - whatever the music calls for).

Shanazel

I've done a fair amount of daytime dancing over the years. If the venue is indoors and dimly lit the sparklies work just fine. Outdoors or bright overhead lighting (god forbid) calls for less sparklies and more folkloric styles.

IMHO. And that may change given special circumstances. :D

lily_raks

I've done a fair amount of daytime dancing over the years. If the venue is indoors and dimly lit the sparklies work just fine. Outdoors or bright overhead lighting (god forbid) calls for less sparklies and more folkloric styles.

IMHO. And that may change given special circumstances. :D

It is a very bright place. All glass doors/windows and no curtains. Imagine. And they want pop music so it is difficult to do something more folkloric. Hard hard.

walladah

I am glad that you have such a nice thing

to spend your lunchtime hour and that your boss was alright with that. Of course, it is not his business what you do with your lunch time and in case you have a second job, he might have a say only if you worked for a competitor of his company. This is how the clauses about second jobs get into contracts - otherwise it is not their business if an employee works in a different industry...

Have fun then and enjoy the light in the performance room!

Shanazel

I always figured if my boss didn't want me to work a second job she should pay me well enough that I didn't have to. :cool:

Zaina

Enjoy your lunch

:dance:
That's a perfect situation! As long as you have a chance to get a bite to eat too..

bessyochoa

I really don't think is wrong if you get back to work on time. I mean, after all you can spend your lunch break however you want to, right? I personally do the same sometimes and I have found people from work there and they don't mind, neither does my boss. :dance:

Duvet

Thanks for your answer. I was wondering if most dancers care to dance during the day because I know a few who dislike dancing during the bright day because they believe it isn't as glamorous or glamorous at all. Some say it is because the heavy make-up looks weird when it's too bright. My only complain is that I don't get to do the show I'm able to do when I dance at night because the space at the day time restaurant is so limited. I basically dance between tables and there are about two 8 feet spots where I could potentially do something worth a show or use props vs just dancing around the tables the whole time. It is not too much the light factor that makes me feel it isn't glamorous. It is more the fact that I am limited to what I can do. Any ideas for what to do in such a small space? Should I try bringing my props? I think this may be a question for yet another thread

Bellydancing not glamorous?? Who are these people? At least in daylight you can find those pins that fell out while you were changing in the broom cupboard!

IMO a daytime restaurant audience is different from a night time audience. In the evening your show is an event, during the day its an interlude. Both audiences deserve your best, but don't need the same performance. Don't expect to be able to do the same thing everywhere. Take it as a challenge, and view it as a compliment. You are being asked back to the restaurant, and you say regulars come to see you, so you are obviously doing a good job. I don't know how you normally dance, but I agree with Darshiva - improvise and try out different approaches to the audience. But I would hesitate over using the safety spot. You might do a great show, but how much of the restaurant will be able to see you?

I hope everything carries on fine with your boss/company's attitude. Sounds like a great situation to be in. :D

Last edited: