Stranded on a desert island with internet access...

RahimaMJR

Ok, I'm getting ready to move in the next couple of months...and while it won't exactly be a desert island, it's going to be rough going. I have tried to find belly dancing among the expat community and in the local (Portuguese speaking) community, but I have only come up with one place that also advertises salsa workshops--so not sure how the teaching quality will actually be with that.

The good news is I should have somewhat reliable internet access and am wondering about my options. I have seen review of Suhaila's online classes, as well as GypsyNet (at the beginning), and I've seen mention of Ansuya's newer project, but haven't found anything specific on the actual classes.

I am new-ish to belly dance, and I was really excited to read about GypsyNet's offerings before Ansuya backed out of it, that was disappointing. Right now I don't really have a style preference either. Like a little bit of everything I guess.

If online classes are my only option, what do you recommend? Has anyone continued with GypsyNet, and would they recommend that (I'm confused as to the state of those offerings...Do they still offer the Skype once a month? Do they still exist? Ansuya is still advertised on the site)

Aziyade, I think somewhere you mentioned that after Suhaila, you felt like an athlete and after GypsyNet, you felt like a bellydancer. I think I'd like having both of those feelings too.

I also have some videos--Hadia's 4 disc system, some Hilary Thacker, a Turkish one with Ruby and Serpentine with Rachel Brice, but I am really Really going to miss going to class several times a week. :(

I know a lot of people on this forum are in the no teacher situation too. Any advice?

jenc

What do you mean Ansuya backed out of Gypsynet. She set it up and it still seems to be going. Explain please

RahimaMJR

I'm just going off what I've read from here...that's why I was confused also. It seems that she is still advertised on GypsyNet page, but I read this on a different thread: from Aziyade:

July 25: 2011 -- So here's an update to the GypsyNet debacle for those of you who aren't aware: Ansuya has divorced herself from the project and has decided she will no longer film classes for the site, offer the live video class, or do the certification video review through GypsyNet.

The site is still offering some new content, from classes that were previously filmed, but they haven't said when this new content will be used up. There has been no mention of refunds for the annual subscribers -- who believed in the project and trusted Ansuya to provide what was originally promised. Needless to say, a great number of people are very peeved right now. And to top it off, Anusya sends us all emails asking us to support her NEW project, subscribing to her NEW online class service. For just $30 a month. Thank you, no.

Personally I'm done with the subscription-based classes. There is sooooo much good content out there available as one-time downloads. I'm impressed by Bhuz TV and the great quality instruction there, from teachers like Hannan Sultan. I know we've discussed the "rental" versus "purchase" option on this thread and in others, and sadly I have to say that this fiasco has completely undermined my confidence in the "rental" model for online classes, or for subscription-based classes in general.

If anyone has any more recent info, please enlighten us!

RahimaMJR

I think I am going to try Suhaila online for three days to see what I think. Maybe I can get my teacher to Skype with me, has anyone tried Skype lessons? Are they helpful or kind of ridiculous?