Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Me, teaching?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are doing a great job of teaching Ariella. As someone who has been dancing for five years, I find dancing improv the hardest thing. I wish I had learned to do it early on. I think it's great that you are incorporating it into your classes.

Luckily I have a friend who encourages me to do it when given the opportunity.

Huraiva

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all,
    Thanks so much for the advice on improv instruction. Everyone on this forum is so helpful. Today I gave them "free time" to two different songs: A Nancy Ajram song, and a really simple drum solo. They all seemed to have a lot of fun with both, and commented that they really enjoyed it afterwards. I'm thinking of making "free time" a regular thing. Should I be correcting them during free time? Also, should I be making suggestions before hand? (Such as, when you hear the heavy accents in the song, hip locks go nicely.) I'm not sure if I should be helping their interpretation, but at the same time I don't want to stifle their creativity.

Also, I'm going to get started with veil next week. Do you guys think it's too early to introduce a prop? I was initially wasn't sure if I was going to, but I think the group is capable of handling floating around the room and some swoops and such.

This teaching stuff is really a lot to think about, phew! Again, kudos to all you teachers out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ariella, Good Job so far. As for correcting them during free time, I would say no. IMO, free time should be just that, free from instruction or correction. Assuming you are not dancing in front of them, they should be 'free' to explore theier own creativity. IYou can gve them suggestions as far as the music is concerend before this section however. You've mentioned the class is only a month? Veil work is tricky for new students, who are still working the basics since you have explain dynamic of air flow, arm positioning, fabric selection and choosing the appropriate music. Do you have time for this?
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ariella,

In my class we often have some free time at the end of the lesson. The teacher dances freely together with us most of the time and sometimes she helps people when she sees they are obviously struggling or when they come with questions themselves.
    I did beginners class last year and we got like, 2 veil lessons, one cane lesson, 2 zills lessons, etc. So I don't think it's too early to introduce a prop, but maybe it's best to make it some kind of "introduction to the prop" lesson and not yet a whole series of lessons with the same prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ariella - glad it's going well!

From a student's perspective, I agree with Yasmine about the veils. We've only just started doing some serious veil technique as a regular thing in our class, and we've all been dancing one or two years. I think our teacher leaves it this long so she knows we can add the veils in without completely losing the rest of the moves.

BUT... as a taster session and to just do a bit of swooshing around and playing, I think it would be fun.

(I love my veil )

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice all! The veils have not yet arrived, so we will be doing veil in class for the first time Thursday.

The girls seem to be feeling much more comfortable with free time than when I first started it. It's really interesting to see some of the stuff they come up with! I think some of us just get so locked down with proper posture and dancing correctly and such that we aren't as creative(Not that proper posture and dancing correctly is a bad thing!). Some of them will stop me as I dance by and ask me questions like, "How does an undulation work again?" while others seem to be starting to emote a bit at times! If I start seeing more and more emoting, I might be tempted to talk about it a bit...

Additionally, I have a question for the instructors/students out there. How long does it take to learn snake arms? The girls are picking up everything else really really quickly, but still seem unsure with snake arms. I'm not certain if I should think of a new way to teach it, or if they just need time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
    Additionally, I have a question for the instructors/students out there. How long does it take to learn snake arms? The girls are picking up everything else really really quickly, but still seem unsure with snake arms. I'm not certain if I should think of a new way to teach it, or if they just need time.
    Hi Ariella, I'm glad to hear your classes are going well! Maybe the students need more time with it since most students tend to push thier arms forward than keeping them at the side of their bodies. From my students, I notice they don't engage their shoulders enough at the same time they should be bending their elbows. As a suggestion(if you haven't tried it yet) have them start with their arms in basic postion, then have them roll each shoulder back(shoulder roll), usually as the shoulder rolls back, the arm will follow and that will create small bend in the elbow. I hope that helps.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all! I uploaded photos from the class when I taught veil, check it out: Flickr: Photos from arielladancer

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ariella, nice pics! Did the class enjoy he veils?

Yasmine

BTW, Nice studio set-up

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Yasmine,
    The class had good fun with the veils. I think this experience has made me a proponent of veil for beginners since they are so fun, and encourage creativity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12