Sadie... hmmmm...

Ahava_Melantha

does anyone NOT like sadie?

i got cyber stabbed once cuz I posted a comment on a youtube video that daria mistkevitch was better than sadie (inho she has a lot more passion) and doesn't pack to much in. et etc.

so is EVERYONE around teh world, die hard sadie fans? not denying shes got skillz i'm just saying.

Ariadne

No, you will find plenty of people here who aren't fans. I understand she is an amazing teacher but I don't care for her dancing. It's all technique and no heart.

Lydia

dont worry dear.....some like pepper some like salt,some paprika ,some curcum!!! we al have differant likes and dont likes,that is what makes the world go round!have a nice day dear
;)

Kashmir

I'm no fan. She may be a great dancer - but she isn't a great belly dancer. Further, she does some stuff which is cheap and slutty. Finally from one of the forums, I hear she also teaches dangerous technique.

So, add me to the not me list.

Sirène

She may be a great dancer - but she isn't a great belly dancer.

May I ask what about her technique prompts this comment?

I know she's polarizing, and I've heard about — never seen — some of the antics that have burned bridges for her in the BD community, but from what I've seen in clips and her instructionals, I think of her as a great bellydancer. I am curious what it is that you see (or don't see) that leaves you with the opposite opinion.

Kashmir

May I ask what about her technique prompts this comment?

I know she's polarizing, and I've heard about — never seen — some of the antics that have burned bridges for her in the BD community, but from what I've seen in clips and her instructionals, I think of her as a great bellydancer. I am curious what it is that you see (or don't see) that leaves you with the opposite opinion.
Belly dance requires a particular approach to (usually ME) music. Sadie seems to ride roughshod over the music - too busy showing how sexy or athletic she is to achieve this. (Granted this is based on only one performance DVD and a few YouTube clips) AT best, I'd say she was a fusion belly dancer.

The technique issue was an over tuck - to the point where the lumbar curve was removed - and with no acknowledgement what a neutral pelvis was (possibly she goes into more detail when teaching live) I think there may have also been issues with a lack of warm-up -not sure on that one.

Ahava_Melantha

okay, thanx.

I would like to like sadie. I feel like i'm supposed to like her cuz shes supposed to be the best, along with didem, which I just can't really get into. I've been trying to do sadie's dynamic drum solo. she has you warming up on the balls of your feet. and during some of the stand up streches, you don't see everything shes doing, and shes sticking out butt when she should be tucking it under.

i was going to think of trying another one of her dvds, but if it doesn't get any better, then i'll give up on her.

I know one really good teacher on a dvd, is jenna. I LOVE heartbeat of belly dance.

but thats where i'm at right now.

I don't like her personally because of her performances - no passion, no spirit, and her dances seem OVERCHOREOGRAPHED if that makes sense.

also, my opinion dramatically decreased when i saw her taxi video and her video in this rap video. yeah . . theres enough ppl who don't even consider bd to be an artform or a structured dance. and then that happens. bd just went back 20 yrs in history. oh well.

shiradotnet

I feel like i'm supposed to like her cuz shes supposed to be the best.

In whose opinion? Many, many people would tell you they prefer someone else.

I've been trying to do sadie's dynamic drum solo. she has you warming up on the balls of your feet. and during some of the stand up stretches, you don't see everything shes doing, and shes sticking out butt when she should be tucking it under.

Well, the obvious solution is to sell that video to someone else and find a video by someone else that moves you more.

i was going to think of trying another one of her dvds

Why bother? If the one you've already got doesn't inspire you, why on earth would you try another? What makes you think another would be any better suited to what YOU want? Don't buy another video by a dancer who fails to inspire you - instead, look for a different dancer whose videos are a better fit with the dancer YOU want to be.

Last edited:

jenc

How long have you been dancing? It is very hard to find the right level, I know when everything is marketed as suitable for all levels - but leaving aside whether you like Sadie or not, the Jenna (even the third dance) is much simpler than anything Sadie does. Read the reviews, ask opinions here before you buy.

Ahava_Melantha

How long have you been dancing? It is very hard to find the right level, I know when everything is marketed as suitable for all levels - but leaving aside whether you like Sadie or not, the Jenna (even the third dance) is much simpler than anything Sadie does. Read the reviews, ask opinions here before you buy.

okay, thanx for the reminder. I think the same goes for jillina. the one thing that I DO like about jenna is that teaching style and her choreography is "clean". there is beauty in some simplicity. she doesn't try to pack too much in. it looks clean and defined. but i'll most defintely do more research. thanx

Ahava_Melantha

which one? jenna saidie or jillina.

but who knows? maybe my taste will change. when I was 16, my all time favorite was suzanna del vecchio. but she isn't anymore.

some of my favorites are actually popular on youtube, like cassandra fox. alexandra dodenka, daria miskevitch. and some others.

so maybe it can change. and even if I disagree with someones style or performance. I won't deny skillz. i won't deny that jillin saide and jenna are all skilled dancers of variouis complexities and styles. I won't deny skills EVER.

which one? jenna saidie or jillina.

but who knows? maybe my taste will change. when I was 16, my all time favorite was suzanna del vecchio. but she isn't anymore.

some of my favorites are actually popular on youtube, like cassandra fox. alexandra dodenka, daria miskevitch. and some others.

so maybe it can change. and even if I disagree with someones style or performance. I won't deny skillz. i won't deny that jillin saide and jenna are all skilled dancers of variouis complexities and styles. I won't deny skills EVER.

That is good that you are nice about it.

gisela

Super Moderator
I don't like Sadie either. She just can't catch my interest. There are sooooo many other gourgeous dancers that emote and feel and still have great technique. I don't even bother watching Sadie videos anymore. I don't really care about that taxi-program. That doesn't have anything to do with her dancing and I even thought it was kind of funny. Now, the choices she has made in DANCE... Those are not to my liking.

Ahava_Melantha

yes,. . . like the rap video with her and kaya in it. yeah . . . no.

i'm not a fan of some moves i consider very stripperish like popping into a squat and moving your hips up and down.

but thats just me.

Daimona

Read the reviews, ask opinions here before you buy.

And don't forget to look up other opinions already mentioned somewhere on this forum. Use the search function to see if anyone has asked about the same dvd previously. You'll also find a sticky on instructional videos in the Instructors and Student section.

LadyLoba

Im a big sadie fan...but like any art form...there are going to be people you like and people you dont care for..that just dont move you for whatever reason. That happens in the arts, even when the person is technically skilled or at the top of their field. Look at how many professional rock bands...even classic rock bands...some people just flat out don't like...and how many professional actors who have made it all the way to Hollywood or Bollywood or Broadway that you just don't like.

Ahava_Melantha

I don't deny her skill, although I don't always agree with her interpretation of music, at all. but thats another thing. I think something can be learned from some of her dvds. which I may try the complete belly dance guide and giver her instructionals another chance.

but I don't care for all of her danced.

the thing I hate is when you get like these teen/young adult die hard fans.

"no one, no one is better than sadie. shes teh best". okay . . . . shes not the first and not the last to belly dance. you can learn so much from so many different dancers and differest styles within belly dance and you're only going to stick with one.

its just ridiculous to me. oh well.

Maysoon

Ahava_Melanth said:
does anyone NOT like sadie?

i got cyber stabbed once cuz I posted a comment on a youtube video that daria mistkevitch was better than sadie (inho she has a lot more passion) and doesn't pack to much in. et etc.

Whew!!! the folks on youtube are ruthless hater trolls wow so when someone is expressing their opinion you get sliced for that lol what a beautiful world! now let's dance.... :dance:

Last edited by a moderator: