Post Thanks / Like

Question HELP! Windows Movie Maker doesn't make MP4, and what are SCN files?

My old Windows Movie Maker did make files in MP4, why doesn't it do that anymore (I had Windows Vista and now the previous version)?

Plus I have heaps of my own video's saved on a hard drive and now they are not accessable anymore , they suddenly are SCN files. What are those?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    My old Windows Movie Maker did make files in MP4, why doesn't it do that anymore (I had Windows Vista and now the previous version)?

Plus I have heaps of my own video's saved on a hard drive and now they are not accessable anymore , they suddenly are SCN files. What are those?
    I'd be very nervous if the actual file extensions have changed.

However, if only the icon has changed, that could have been caused by a recent installation, or when trying an option if Windows prompted you for the correct program to run the file (the "make this the default choice in future" box is most times automatically checked and it's easy to not notice ).

Check this list for programs you recognize that use the .SCN extension.
    Alphabetic File Extension List

If you need to play .mp4 files quicktime should work and is available for free. If you have iTunes it's most likely already on your system.

Post Thanks / Like

Mystery solved (I think), they are saved elsewhere and the SCN's are something else.

BUT, if I try to save a clip I made in Windows Movie Maker the only file type option I get is the one from Windows Movie Maker itself! I have tried all sections where you can save files but all only offer the one option.

Post Thanks / Like

I queried my husband. I quote:

(1:46:30 PM): vlc will play MP4, but yeah, the new movie maker only saves in wmv (windows media video) format.
    (1:46:49 PM): is she still making the videoes or only wants to see them?
    (1:47:34 PM): i think her video's on the hard drive are still .mp4, it's just a new program she is installed is trying to open them becuase it's now the default program.
    (1:47:48 PM): again, installing vlc and telling it to be the new default for media will fix that.

Basically you have to use a different player to save in because Windows Movie Maker won't save in MP4 format anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the videos are on another hard drive I can't get to atm. The new ones are all windows movie maker format. Youtube doesn't upload those. I need to convert them to MP4

Post Thanks / Like

He says to use HandBrake.
    "(8:01:53 PM): it's a video converter...pretty strait forward one too if you just use the presets."

It's free too. Good luck. If it doesn't work for some reason just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Downloading now, I'll let you know