Courses, how many lessons do yours contain?

AndreaSTL

The same as any other dance style's classes do - exam & audition.
Do the students have any issue with having to repeat a particular session or level? I know there will always be 6 week divas who know it all, but I'm just wondering about the students' attitudes in general.

LuLu

My teacher does 8 week series and she allows drop ins to her beginning class but her intermediate class she only allows her intermediate and advanced students to drop in to that class.

Darshiva

Andrea, nobody seems to be having an issue with repeating stuff(yet). At least in my class there is a chance to advance. The other belly classes in town seem to be the 'drop in & muck around for 90 minutes' type so they are usually very grateful to be getting technique correction, etc in my class.

Of course, ymmv. It depends on what else is out there. Teach to your own method. Those that want it will stay, those that don't will find another teacher. Why is finding another teacher so bad? That way there's more room in your class for the ones who do like your curriculum!

Kashmir

I don't do the exam thing at my own studio - although a few times I have suggested a student repeat the Intro course (sometimes twice) but have never had any negative feedback from that.

In the school I used to work for there was an exam (sometimes the owner rather than the teacher would do it if there was trouble expected). In many cases, the issue was the students would not move on - they liked to stay in a class that was "safe" and didn't challenge them.

Amulya

I love how different everyone's classes here are. Great diversity!

It is :) I don't think one type suits all would work. Everybody wants something different and it's good there are that many options.

Speaking of such, one of my ex-students complained that still after more than 6 years she still hasn't found anyone who teaches my format :shok:. And that's why she's not taking classes (I on the other side of the world now) Such a shame, she was one of my best students who by now would have been a pro dancer if she would have continued taking classes. I myself would just have taken classes anyway even if it wasn't what I was looking for.

Amulya

Yes it is, I am actually going to contact her and give her the contact details of my first teacher! I still have a video of her at a dancing contest when she was 15. I have to reformat the video so I can share it with her.
I think she doesn't realise her potential. I had another student who was very good too, but she wasn't performing at all. I wonder if she still dances. It would be cool if she became a dancer. Who knows.