making your own

Ahava_Melantha

I was wondering if anyone here has ever decided to make their own?

if you do, have you ever used simlicity/mccalls/butterick pattersn?

of have you used folk wear, patterns of time, madame x patterns? etc?

just out of cureousity.

would love to know how it works.

Ahava, I have tried making costumes using a Simplicity pattern but I wasn't happy with the result.

That's partly because I'm not good at sewing, so my attempt at making the pattern probably didn't turn out quite the way it was supposed to. But it's also because clothes designed for streetwear often don't work well for dancing.

For instance, I made a skirt which looks OK but doesn't have the slinky look of a belly dance skirt. I made a tie top which looks great but there's not enough give to lift my arm in it.

I finally worked out how to make my own skirts, here's a blog post explaining how I do it:
How to Make a Belly Dance Skirt | | Belly Dance BazaarBelly Dance Bazaar

As for tops, I buy t-shirt bras and cover them. By far the best explanation of how to do it is on Shushanna's website:
Shushanna Designs: Bases for Bras

shiradotnet

I was wondering if anyone here has ever decided to make their own?

if you do, have you ever used simplicity/mccalls/butterick patterns?

of have you used folk wear, patterns of time, madame x patterns? etc?

just out of curiosity.

would love to know how it works.

I've made a lot of costume pieces over the years. I've used Folkwear for traditional garments, and it's great for that. For more modern/theatrical garments, I've used Atira's Fashions.

Here's an article on my web site about costume patterns: Sewing Patterns for Making Belly Dance Costumes

Mya

and if you're on FB - there's a group where many of us ladies from OD as well as outsiders are sharing our costuming projects and techniques :)

Shanazel

Oriental Dancer: that's this forum. :D

Look through the threads on the Costumes sub-forum. Lots of information about making your own there.

Ariadne

As Bellydance Oz mentioned the Simplicity patterns require adjusting to work.
Folkwear are great patterns when you can use them.
I'm not on facebook but there are plenty of great online webpages that will help you out from Shira's to Shushanna's.
If you know how to sew and make patterns I recommend Dawn Devine Brown's Books.

indrayu

All of the above recommendations are great!

Some parts of streetwear patterns can be useful e.g. I used the yoke part from a skirt pattern to base a belt pattern on. I just needed to get the curve right and was using brocade which didn't need extra adornment.

Make sure you fit and check your sewing at every stage so there's no disappointments when you are finished.

And when covering a bra, use the most solid, inflexible cups you can find. My first attempt was with a bra with comfortable, flexible cups. Mistake! As layers were added, the shape flattened out and, although still decent, didn't do the job as well as it should have.

Ahava_Melantha

thanx. although, think i'll be more into the choli top types for the top. but anyways. thanx for the info. i think my dance instructors said the same. a stiff bra and adding more cloth to it to make it more "modest" not as skimpy. anyways.

i know to be careful with beading - i beaded one outfit and I don't know what i did wrong, but when ever i performed I lost beads. people would come up to me and give me my lost "accessories". yeah - it was fun costume, hehe

teela

I've made some of mine. There is a great DVD out by Aziza from California who makes bra's and belts professionally. The DVD shows how to make bra's and belts professionally. I believe she danced in SF back in the 60's and is part of the North Beach crowd.
I've used the Folkwear vest pattern for the macedonian - turkish vest. Circle skirts I"ve used a string and piece of chalk. For most costume pieces, I search the internet for websites for the pieces I like. There is a site in Australia for making a choli out of velvet. Swan something. I don't remember the whole name. I am at work. I'll try to post something tonight with several of my suggested websites.