Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am Mahsati Janan. I've been on this forum for a very long time, though I go through active and lurking periods depending on the topics and discussions happening. I've been dancing for a little over 16 years now and love every minute of it. While my specialties are classical /modern Egyptian and the folkloric styles, I also love and perform Turkish, Lebanese, and American Orientale styles. I am an instructor, choreographer, researcher, and performer, so I almost always have a few projects in the works. I am an anthropological researcher in my day job, so that gives me even more excuses to study up on everything to do with Middle East, Mediterranean, and North African arts.

Let's see...what else. I am currently in the planning and design stages for a worldwide survey of belly dancers to be opened for online data entry sometime in 2012. I have 3 instructional dvds out right now and another 2 in the pre-production stages. I am always traveling for dance, so I love to meet other dancers when I do.

Wow - this is pretty hard to do actually. I am not sure what people would want to know! LOL

Just remembered to mention location: I am currently based in Asheville, NC, and before that I was in central Florida (Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater) and north Florida (Jacksonville/Gainesville/St. Augustine).
    Last edited by mahsati_janan; 12-07-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Remembered to say where I am from!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    *for those from before the Great Hack, does your join date show 2006 in it? I don't remember when OD was created, it might have been around before I discovered it, but I was posting here for a long time before it got hacked. I am trying to figure out how this matches up with my join date
    I was wondering about this too. I could swear I was on the forum before 2006 by at least 2 or 3 years, but who keeps track of stuff like that? I remember the Great Hack and the horrible withdrawal period of no forum so I must have been around before then.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I'm Andrea, and I live in the St. Louis, MO area. I've been dancing for about 15 years, and I prefer Egyptian style. Folkloric is also my friend; Saidi in particular. Um, I might have blown out the bass in my car while listening to Saidi.

I'm trained as an accountant, but I chucked that about five years ago and opened up a costume business. Rather than purchase from another vendor, I take an annual trip to Cairo to select my costumes. It doesn't make me a ton of money, but my happiness has increased and my quality of life is so much better. Not having an office job during the week allows me to spend 2 1/2 days a week helping out at the local food pantry. I've been married since 1993, and we have two cats. I enjoy making things, and I like to do mosaics, quilt, and crochet the most.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! Since I'm only here every few weeks or so and miss so much, it's nice to have this chance to "meet" people.

Post Thanks / Like

This is fun to read about you all, even though I feel like I already know you

Hello, I am Gisela, swedish but living in Denmark. On this forum I am a supermoderator together with Mosaic. I am not a very chatty person (but I am nice) and I think I sometimes comes off more blunt than I would like, as writing in english takes a bit of work for me.

My belly dance-journey began in 2003 and since then I've been taking classes two or three times a week. I do a bit of performing at Haflas and recitals and lately also some parties and a wedding and stuff. Not so much that I can call myself a pro though, perhaps semi-pro.
    This September I started teaching and it is great! It is such a challenge to come up with stuff, make level appropriate choreos and exercises, choose suitable music etc but I am learning loads from it.

In my "civilian" life I am a ceramic artist, struggling with the same things as in the bellydance life: How to find customers, get proper pay for the goods, marketing, trusting my talent etc etc....

The members of this forum have taught me so much about the dance and culture and on top of that I get to practice communicating in english
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    I was wondering about this too. I could swear I was on the forum before 2006 by at least 2 or 3 years, but who keeps track of stuff like that? I remember the Great Hack and the horrible withdrawal period of no forum so I must have been around before then.

Marya
    I think those who were here before the Great Hack all have July 2006 as join date. When I joined in august 2006 everone was talking about the hack so it must have just happened, and become resolved in July.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    I think those who were here before the Great Hack all have July 2006 as join date. When I joined in august 2006 everone was talking about the hack so it must have just happened, and become resolved in July.
    I'd be around "lurking" prior to what must have been the "great hack" (I didn't know about that - probably because a year later it was well and truly over), and when the forum disappeared I thought it had closed but found it in 07 again and it has grown from strength to strength since I joined

Mahsati what you wrote is perfect I am enjoying finding out snippets of background on the forum's "golden oldies" - as in long term members
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

The Great Hack ended July 2006. I know because I checked several times a day for OD to return to us and rejoined ASAP when it finally did. Such a dark time- if I hadn't had some e-mail addresses for OD folks I'd have gone into serious withdrawal. I'd belonged to OD for several years at that point; it was the first forum I ever participated in and it is still my favorite. Love all you all! MMMWAHHH!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mahsati_janan View Post
    I am currently in the planning and design stages for a worldwide survey of belly dancers to be opened for online data entry sometime in 2012.

You got to tell us more about that

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings Everyone,

Suzanne Azhaar here, dancing almost twenty-two years. Started in California, currently reside in the desert of New Mexico (glorious N.M. sunsets).

Enjoy sewing costumes as a challenge (doesn’t matter if I wear them or not, sewing is relaxing). Learned the basics from an auntie who could duplicate any complex garment without a pattern. (Fervently wish we’d had more time together.) Supplemented education from an exacting Baroness in the S.C.A., and now I quietly teach others who find their way to my doorstep. Once in a while I will purchase a costume, but it better be pretty spiffy (something I can learn from)~ mixed beading styles, materials, and unique design work. (Last costume purchase was 2004 from Madame Abla).

Currently inspired by B.D. fashion of 1970’s N. America (couple concepts zooming around). Still in the phase of ‘how would I recreate that and make it fashion forward’? Always means learning something new.

Favor Egyptian classical music with a full orchestra and play sagats when the opportunity presents itself. Dance style is a blend of Egyptian and North American (can’t be helped, born and raised in the U.S.). Appreciate watching youtube videos of the Golden Era dancers. (When an evening out meant gentlemen wore suits and ladies donned cocktail dresses.)

Outside of the dance I’m a mother and grandmother, and nothing beats getting dirty with home renovations, carpentry, and landscaping. Hubby once joked, “Gut that bathroom while I go play golf.” When he returned the bathroom was gone, down to the studs and subfloor (lol). I’m little, but determined (love the new powder room). Can’t wait for spring and more renovations.

Other than that~ quiet and don’t say a whole lot unless it’s constructive.

Member since 2008….must be correct since I don’t remember ‘the great hack of 2006’.
    Last edited by Suzanne Azhaar; 12-10-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

“Gut that bathroom while I go play golf.” When he returned the bathroom was gone, down to the studs and subfloor (lol).

"Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast