New Year's Resolutions Anyone?

Amulya

I'm keeping mine simple, don't want to try to ask too much of myself. I am hoping to perform more. Two gigs planned, so that one has a good start and maybe starting teaching. I got some requests already, just got to work out the logistics and see if I can do it healthwise.
One more: finish a costume and start on a new one.

No non-belly dance related resolutions though, except for taking care of my health, but that's ongoing anyway.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Never make any - I don't keep them anyway so no point!:D I suppose my NY res is never make any:lol:
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Time to trot out the "never wear a metal breast plate in an electric storm, while singing Wagner on a mountain top" resolution. That one has always worked for me and I like to keep a good thing going.

gisela

Super Moderator
Thanks for finding last years thread, Safran. It's always an interesting read. EDIT: I moved my post about how I did last year to the old thread.

For 2012:
Get a job and get some money.
Take part of that money and go to a few workshops.

:lol:
That's about it right now.

Last edited:

LadyLoba

Belly dance new year's resolutions 2012

Who here has some belly dance 2012 resolutions?

Most of mine are non-belly dance...but in 2012 I will also..

1. Learn to improv better

2. Drill at least once a week

3. Attend at least one belly dance event

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Lady Loba, I have moved your thread into this one because it is a recent thread on the same subject. Good luck with your NY resolutions:D
~Mosaic

I have no bellydance resolutions, apart from "to keep dancing as long as it's not embarrassing".

I'm now at the wrong end of my 50's, and it's depressing to realize that I'm only just hitting my straps as a performer at exactly the time when I'm starting to look ridiculous in a belly dance costume. :(

KestrelAradia

Who here has some belly dance 2012 resolutions?

Most of mine are non-belly dance...but in 2012 I will also..

1. Learn to improv better

2. Drill at least once a week

3. Attend at least one belly dance event

Oh nice!

Taking a page from you:

1- Go to at least one Bellydance event
2- Go to an intermediate class:rolleyes: My teacher says I should since I'm a fast learner and have been making great improvements but I'm scared:(
3- Finish a costume or two (and take more sewing lessons)

Non BD Goals
1- run a half marathon
2- Do yoga at least once a week... I've been doing it sporadically but want to be more consistant
3- Get all As in my Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters in college:shok:
4- Get a job!
5- Get out of the house more... I'm such a homebody

Sounds like a lot, but hopefully I'll get some of it done :pray:

PracticalDancer

Since last year was a big exercise in priorities, I am a little nervous about this year, to be honest. But, the meditation for me for this year seems to be "what is true."

Not sure if that deserves a period, or a question mark.

As I have contemplated my dance goals, I am starting to really think about styling. I wonder if this year, as I consider studying different styles (particularly Turkish vs. Egyptian) if my "true style" will start to emerge?

I really don't know where this will take me. Could be interesting!

Shanazel

I have no bellydance resolutions, apart from "to keep dancing as long as it's not embarrassing".

I'm now at the wrong end of my 50's, and it's depressing to realize that I'm only just hitting my straps as a performer at exactly the time when I'm starting to look ridiculous in a belly dance costume. :(

If you think you look ridiculous in a belly dance costume you just need a new costume and an attitude adjustment. ;) Trust me, I know how you're feeling (been there, done that, occasionally return for a visit) but it is time for you to reevaluate your assets and decide how to make the most of them.

I'm 56. I don't allow my bare upper arms to be seen by any but my nearest and dearest and then only in an unlit room on a moonless night. I don't have pretty legs and my face has a lot more "character" than it did when I was thirty. On the plus side I've got a nice curvy torso and great hair. I wear my hair down, tops with sleeves, long skirts and harem pants, a powernet bodysuit, and a smile. I get by just fine and I'm sure you can, too.

Kjesta

Dance-wise I want to work through all of the material I wrote down from my Mira Betz workshops, it's enough to inspire me for a decade! And really take to heart her advice of dancing not just from the shoulders to the hips, but from the toes to the tips of my hair, and finding my own voice.

Also, trying out saidi and maybe working on a second solo. And making a costume! I could also start taking videos of myself and working with those to practice. It'll hurt but be worth. Oh, and work more seriously with my DVD collection! I have so many but I work way too little with them.

Non-dance I want to finally find a balance between work, dance and my art! I draw/paint way too little these days. Getting into the art school of my dreams would be nice too! I really need to step up my game there. That's the main goal of 2012 for me.

Manuela

Let's see... I have a full-time job that has absolutely nothing to do with dance...
so I'd just like to be the best dancer I can be, for a creative challenge, to stay healthy and fit, and to to entertain myself and hopefully others :D
Maybe I'll find a group to perform with at medieval fairs and such - that would be wonderful.

I want to:
- aside from weekly lessons, continue practicing 2-3 sessions per week: include strengthening exercises, review material from workshops in 2011, work with DVDs...

- look for a weekly class that is better suited to me, and a troupe to perform with now and then.

- attend workshops about folklore, drumming and/or improvisation. Those topics are terribly neglected in all regular classes I've attended so far...

Since I'm planning to travel around the US in autumn, I'm toying with the idea to attend an international workshop then. Why not? :)

If you think you look ridiculous in a belly dance costume you just need a new costume and an attitude adjustment. ;) Trust me, I know how you're feeling (been there, done that, occasionally return for a visit) but it is time for you to reevaluate your assets and decide how to make the most of them.

I'm 56. I don't allow my bare upper arms to be seen by any but my nearest and dearest and then only in an unlit room on a moonless night. I don't have pretty legs and my face has a lot more "character" than it did when I was thirty. On the plus side I've got a nice curvy torso and great hair. I wear my hair down, tops with sleeves, long skirts and harem pants, a powernet bodysuit, and a smile. I get by just fine and I'm sure you can, too.

Thanks Shanazel! I know all that - trouble is I normally dance in a troupe where I don't have much control over the costume. I've tried body stockings but they either don't hold you in or if they do hold you in, they look like an old lady's support hose. I've been reluctant to order yet another one from another supplier, maybe I should keep trying!

LilithNoor

My new year's resolution is just to enjoy life to the fullest.

I was very ill over the Christmas and New year period, and am only just beginning to find an interest in life again.

I aim to be thankful for all that I am given, and keep looking on the bright side!