Useful iTunes App for Bellydance Rhythms

Sirène

I recently found this and thought it might be useful for those who like a simple, looped rhythm to practice to:

App Store - DumTek

It's iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad compatible, and best of all... FREE!

Here is the description from the developer, Michael Graff:

DumTek is a Middle Eastern rhythm generator for learning new rhythms, or practicing ones you already know. It's also great for belly dancers to get a solid rhythm to learn new moves.

Middle Eastern music has a different feel than western music, and a standard metronome doesn't always work well. Having something to drum along with can really help lock into the feel of an unusual pattern.

DumTek knows about several popular Middle Eastern rhythms, such as Ayyuub, Karatchi, Maqsum, Sayyadii, Bolero, Masmoudi, Chiftiteli, Malfouf, and many others. Future releases will provide additional rhythms as well as a method to enter new ones and hear them played.

The name DumTek comes from two of the three basic sounds a Dumbek makes: Dum, Tek, and Kah. The audio samples are from a drum owned by the author.

Spelling of these rhythms is a common topic of debate in the US drumming groups. I will standardize as best I can on the accepted spellings, once they are standardized.

Farasha Hanem

Thank you very, VERY much, Sirene! :D I hadn't seen this one in iTunes before, so I'm glad you posted this! ^^ Even though I have a couple of CD's on Middle Eastern rhythms, it will be very nice to have an app right on my iPhone that I can have with me everywhere I go. Thank you again! :D

Janene Aliza

Oh, sweet !!!

I can never seem to find the "good stuff" on iTunes just by searching -- it's great to have suggestions from other people !

Thanks for posting !!!

RahimaMJR

This sounds cool, I'll have to check it out. Has anyone checked out the other Bellydance apps, specifically the ones from WDNY and Neon? Some of them seem to be just the instructional videos that are made iPad accessible.

Does anyone have feedback?

Amulya

Belly dance apps for phones!

I found this handy rhythm one called Dum Tek, it got all rythms and you can play them slow or fast, good for practising!

There is also Rhythm Trek, some sort of game, not sure how it works though!

Darshiva

Thanks for that. I don't have a phone that uses apps, but I'm sure my students do & now I know what to recommend if they ask.