I Am Disgusted.

LunaXJJ

I found this video of a nine year old girl dancing. While I don't love the outfit for her age, the top rated comment on there made me want to vomit.

Visit the youtube page, and you'll see what I mean.

LilithNoor

...I'm so not clicking that link. I'll just take your word for it!

it amazes me how even plankton can get online these days!

Tezirah

This is the main reason I really don't like to see a child belly dancing (even though she has a lot of potential). Seeing moves designed for a woman being done with a child's body can only encourage the sort of perverted comments we see here from a certain type of person. Start teaching them young within the home by all means, but lets keep the costumes and the public performances until they're old enough to understand and deal with the many different attitudes they will encounter.

lexiconlush

Why haven't those comments been flagged?

My question is, who is the person recording this and thought it would be a good idea to place it on the internet?

KestrelAradia

I went on his page to flag him and found that he made several disgusting comments on other videos of children dancing, and it wasn't just bellydance.

Sirène

If the costume and choreography are age appropriate, I have no objection to young dancers. I don't think you can blame the kids for how strangers on the internet will perceive what they do. The parents should be slapped in the head and taught to at least learn turn-off comments, but they've yet to appoint a Stupidity Tzar for YT. :rolleyes:

If people are making disgusting comments, flag at will. However, does anyone else think this video is inappropriate? I clicked through on YT and looking at what else is posted to the account, I can't figure out if the poster just makes really poor decisions about what he shares online, or if there is something far more unsavory going on. :(

Ariadne

I can't figure out if the poster just makes really poor decisions about what he shares online, or if there is something far more unsavory going on. :(
I'm concerned it might be. At the least someone needs to be smacked with a clue stick for leaving that comment up. Just... ick...

Starmouth

Yep, I think I'll stay away from that link. Judging from what I can see of the video from the screenshot her costume doesn't look inappropriate, nothing worse that what you might see at a swimming pool or on the beach. But perverts will be perverts, hope this little girl is ok and that the weirdo gets reported.

Avariel

Oh gross :( :( :( What parent would even allow their daughter to post videos of themself dancing? Isn't it obvious that they'd be making their kid a target for every sexual predator out there with internet access? Grown women have enough problems with it as it is.

Sirène

Oh gross :( :( :( What parent would even allow their daughter to post videos of themself dancing? Isn't it obvious that they'd be making their kid a target for every sexual predator out there with internet access? Grown women have enough problems with it as it is.

I think something that's getting lost in the conversation here is that predators can/will sexualize anything that involves children. A kid riding a bicycle? Yes. A Gap commercial for Christmas wear? Yes. The simplest, most mundane situations can trigger sexual fantasies for people with pedophilia.

Of course, parents should safeguard their children and certain things are best not shared on the internet, but shielding them 100%, 24/7 from the rest of the world is not the solution. From what I've witnessed, that type of parenting leads to young adults who are poorly equipped to handle reality when they go off to college or move away from home for the first time.

Also, for every little girl shaking her booty in fishnets on YT (and that's the parents fault :naghty: ), there is also an appropriately dressed little girl, doing something she loves, with the proper adult supervision. I thought this was an excellent example:

LunaXJJ

I went on his page to flag him and found that he made several disgusting comments on other videos of children dancing, and it wasn't just bellydance.

That's sick. Children can't even dance, have fun, and be kids without some pervert ruining it. Certain things shouldn't be posted online, but some people like to share videos with family and friends, and shouldn't have to worry about people like that.

*Edit to add* He's gone, and so are all of his comments now! Of course there's an equally bad one in its place now, its still one less than before.

Last edited:

Lydia

just hade a look because this thread is getting longer so i was thinking yallah have a peek at the clip....here is my 2 cents...i wonder if the parents know the clip is there??? i think the choreo specialy how the clip start is not suitable for a 9 year old,it is to sexy she looks much more mature then 9 specialy when the clip just start....its not like a ,,cute,, girl that is dancing.....i think there is nothing wrong with children dancing it is a ,,sport,, like any other sport...but if it is presented wrong it becomes a object for sicko,s...and if we like it or not the world is full of it....always has and always will be....it is up to us to protect ourselfs and our children teach them to be aware of this....dont forget that some young children are much more mature then we think,so the parents have to be aware and teach them how to be carefull....why the comments are there???? the account is from the child from the parent or perhaps from a friend that made the video? its scary realy......we have to also think about chidren that are beiing pushed into things they dont want because somebody will profit from it....there are 100 things i can think about when i see this clip and think olalala this is so wrong....has nothing to do with children that dance, they dance jazz hiphop ballet and i never hear anybody say they,, better not its wrong.,,...but its realy the way how it is presented....that is my 2 cents .....have a nice day all

Aniseteph

That's sick. Children can't even dance, have fun, and be kids without some pervert ruining it. Certain things shouldn't be posted online, but some people like to share videos with family and friends, and shouldn't have to worry about people like that.

I'm not condoning sickos and pervs for a minute, but the internet is a reflection of the real world and we can't expect it to be all fluffy and nice because we want to to show our friends and family our video clips. Post something somewhere accessible like YouTube and you aren't just showing it to your friends and family, you are sharing it with any perv, sicko, idiot, bigot, troll, troublemaker, or nosey so&so who wants to look at it. And they will have opinions which they may want to tell you about.

I don't know how this particular clip got on there, but IMNSHO it's parents' job to protect their kids from that sort of attention, and that includes being extremely careful what gets posted on-line.

But hey, I'm so old-fashioned I can't understand why people want to wash their dirty linen in public on the likes of Facebook. Perhaps exposing your kids to this is normal these days. :( :( :(

Gloria

It looks as though she was watching Rania's performance from the original Bellydance Superstars DVD. Rania uses the same music and opens the same way - on the floor, eyes open, bellyrolls, etc. My guess is the 9 year old was emulating her. My granddaughter is 9 years old, too, and it is disturbing to see some of the stuff she emulates also. They are too young to realize what they are doing and saying, but they so much want to look and act like the big girls.

walladah

I think it is completely irresponsible

that parents or other adult people who take care of the children (i also mean the teacher of the child) to expose children in such a way, on youtube. It is not only the perverts, it is also that children are exposed to criticisms or bullying that might not be able to handle at this age or that might be dangerous for them.

I am not against little chidren bellydancing, in public, not at all! i do not really like that they are dressed with costumes which replicate adult costuming (creating breasts and hips where they do not exist, revealing flesh while the child has no full conscience what this would mean, etc), but there are so many options for child costuming that i wonder how teachers and parents want to sell the "wonder child" image that much, that they stop in front of anything!

I have not watched the video on question, but really i feel that i do not want to. I would also say that the girl dancing in the video posted by Sirène is probably a bit older (which also means she might have been involved in the publishing of the video), but still i would prefer her to show less flesh, although in general the entire picture is not aestethically bad. She is also a verY good dancer, and i wonder whether with the evolution she will probably have, she will repent adults to have posted her early videos.

On the other hand, i think that if the kid wants a video on youtube to show to friends and relatives, what i would do if i had to make this decision? prohibit it? let only a part of the video? ask for careful costuming and styling? or just say "you have the video on youtube on the condition that you never never never contact or meet anybody who is contacting you through internet without an adult with you"... what a mess is this world for children nowadays... in my childhood era, it was normal for a child to bellydance in family or community gatherings and there was not even a thought about dangers around as it was impossible to contact a child without the parents or the neighbours getting notice....

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
This is why people who post videos on youtube need to take the full responsibility to moderate the comments people post or make it so people can't post comments.

The other side is that whoever posted the video could have done it with other things in mind and the comments made there are what they are expecting.

People make similar comments about child in flameno, jazz, and ballet as well. It is not just only to bellydance.

LunaXJJ

the internet is a reflection of the real world

Hence why is doesn't matter if you post pics or videos of your kids online. In fact, your kid is safer with a pic online, then actually going outside. You can't protect your kid from everything, and everyone. Does that mean you can't let your kid out of his/her room until they're adults? You also mentioned facebook which is actually a safe place to share videos and pics with just friends, and family since only the people you add can see them. I'd rather post a video on facebook than youtube any day.

Cheart - I agree. If it's going to be on youtube, its best to disable comments. I mean that for any video with a human being in it. I try to avoid comments on youtube because no matter what you watch there's at least one idiot that you just want to smack in the mouth.