Fan Dancing

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Are you talking about fan veils?? I've seen videos of that and am learning myself how to use them but I have not heard of any that have streamers on them.

Indigo Shimmer

I'm talking about the small hand fans that have veils attached to them. I'd like to see various dance routines with them to see if I think I can handle something like that (after more experience of course!;)

I'm sorry but I just went to a holiday belly dance recital and now I've got all these ideas about things I'd like to try. I'm trying to see how difficult/easy different styles are and see if they're do-able for someone like me.

Indigo S.

Farasha Hanem

I know what kind of veil fans you're talking about, they're so very pretty! I thought I had a video saved on my YouTube channel of a dancer using fan veils, but I was wrong, he uses different fans. The video is wonderful, though, so I'll share:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Here are some videos of what I think you are looking for. Just go to youtube and type in "fan veils" and you will find lots of video clips.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to learn to use hand veils until they have a lot of dance experience under their belt. They can be complicated to use and dance with.

Nayyme Bellydancer | Silk Fan Veils - YouTube

Last edited:

Aniseteph

I wouldn't recommend anyone to learn to use hand veils until they have a lot of dance experience under their belt. They can be complicated to use and dance with.

I've a friend who found them quite easy to get the hang of, but that's a good point about experience. I think she'd be the first to admit that it's very easy to get focused on the prop - they can be so fascinating to watch and fun to play with that the belly dance stops happening!

Mahsati Janan has a couple of instructional DVDs.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I think she'd be the first to admit that it's very easy to get focused on the prop - they can be so fascinating to watch and fun to play with that the belly dance stops happening!

That is the main thing. Getting to focused on the props so that they now are the main focus instead of the dance.

Some fan veils are harder to use depending on what material (sticks and veil) they are made out of. Also the length of the veil on it can get people tangled up if they are not paying attention to where their body position is and what they are doing.

LOL i've seen one video where she accidentally threw the fan veil at an audience member. I'm not sure if it slipped or she just lost her grip on it when trying to close and open it during the movement.

Indigo Shimmer

That's what I was trying to figure out: Is this a project for the near future, or further on when I'm very experienced and confident in my craft. After the recital, I'm so psyched to get going on a routine. My teacher is putting together a routine for us beginners that we're going to perform around Father's Day and I want to get it down and perfect by TOMORROW! ( I have that problem with a lot of things! )

So far I know of nobody and my teacher knows of nobody nearby that can teach me what to do with fans.

I still have to wait until I go to the library later today to view the videos.

Indigo S.

LilithNoor

For what it's worth, all the fan veil dancers I have seen have been self-taught, or have had the odd workshop and then developed their skills from there.

I've got a set, and I will dance with them one day when i've had more practice. I think they're lovely to watch, but as other posters have noted it is important to make sure that the dramatic props don;t squeeze out the actual belly dance!

Indigo Shimmer

Okay I watched the videos. I LOVE the effect of the veil fans. They look like hand-held flames, whatever the color. And I could see how they could be so mesmerizing to work that you would forget to dance! I have a hard enough time trying to do snake arms AND shimmy right now so I think I'm nowhere near to trying veil fans yet. SIGH! But it is nice to have goals!

And BTW that kid dancing with the regular fans is great! I'm amazed at his skill at such a tender age.

Indigo S.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Is the streamer type veils you are talking about? It is called veil-poi & I'm sure very tiring on the arms & hands:D
~Mosaic

Or there is this a ribbon dance, long streamer like ribbons is very much Chinese or Asian and some dancers have adapted them to BD. There are some videos on youtube of traditional Chinese silk ribbon dances, but the video quality isn't very good.