Would you change your look (say wear a wig) to not be recognized?

lily_raks

TE=Amulya;197062]Would be great if we post pictures of ourselves in belly dance gear and 'normal' clothes. I am going to chase some up to show :)

Ok, found some:

here is me as 'normal' person:

Shanazel, where are you? Here is one of our horses:

And as belly dancer:

Looking forward to other dancers' pictures![/QUOTE]

Vey nice idea!

Here are some photos of me.

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

No, I wouldn't do it. Unless I lived in an environment like Lydia, I don't think I should have to because I don't. I have nothing to hide. I do, however, glam down much more for everyday. I don't necessarily go to the other extreme so I am probably recognizable, but a lot of the "finishing touches" are not my everyday attire, makeup-wise, hairwise, clothes-wise or other.

Darshiva

I don't do anything to change my appearance, but oh boy does the superman effect come into play when I'm in costume. Actually, just wearing makeup does the trick. I was doing a gig for a friend of mine and I turned up in full makeup in my civvies and she asked me if I needed help before recognising me & letting me through to get all set up for the gig!

LadyLoba

Me the way I look in regular clothes is in my profile..though I never curl my hair anymore...I just leave it straight and if I plan to see I leave my glasses on.

Ive only had workout clothes on to practice in...havent bought my first costume yet.

I wouldnt judge someone else who did disguise themselves or their identity...whether it be belly dancing, or if they were a writer doing a reading of a piece that might be so controversial it could bring them some type of harm..or a painter presenting a painting (using a pseudonym or just initials for the signature). They know their own situation and what is and is not something they can safely do better than I do. It might be easy for me to say "Oh just sign that painting"...or "Oh just wear a bedlah and do your makeup" but I dont know another person's life and I dont have the right to judge them.

For myself..I dont think Id disguise myself..but I might try something I wouldnt dare try for my everyday look...since colors and styles can look very different in belly dance costumes than in dress shirts or tees.

Ariadne

I can think of one good reason to separate yourself from your real name if you are a professional dancer and that is potential stalkers. I don't use my real name online to keep potential problems away. I can certainly see why someone else might do the same (including deliberately looking different) for a dance career.

LunaXJJ

Nope. I dance in private anyway, but even so, if I'm getting fired for folk dance, someone's getting sued. Its ignorant to fire someone for being a belly dancer, and I wouldn't stand for it.

Amulya

I can think of one good reason to separate yourself from your real name if you are a professional dancer and that is potential stalkers. I don't use my real name online to keep potential problems away. I can certainly see why someone else might do the same (including deliberately looking different) for a dance career.

Most dancers do that and for good reason: pervs are everywhere. I used to dance under my full name when I was a starting pro dancer and that was before it became popular to do that (like Rachel Brice does), but I soon stopped it, it caused too much confusion (my family name is Jewish, Arabic and Turkish LOL) and safety issues.

And a story about being recognized:

(I can't find the horrible picture of me, the dress was double my size, I had socks on and ballet shoes) I had a gig a block away from home, so I put on a dress, wig and head scarf. Thought it would be very hard to recognize me later (I was blond back then). And some time later a kid screamed at me in the street: 'belly dancer!'

So it doesn't always work...

If you worked in a conservative field, would you change your look (wear a wig per say) to not be easily recognized by your peers or boss?

I know others say they have changed their look and they were not recognized. However personally, if I was that concerned about being recognized, I wouldn't take the risk. Some people are better at seeing through disguises than others - you never know when you might be found out.

Shanazel

Ah, but therein lies the thrill of the thing. :cool: And besides- no risk, no gig. No gig, no money. No money, no groceries.

Amulya

Most dancers do that and for good reason: pervs are everywhere. I used to dance under my full name when I was a starting pro dancer and that was before it became popular to do that (like Rachel Brice does), but I soon stopped it, it caused too much confusion (my family name is Jewish, Arabic and Turkish LOL) and safety issues.

And a story about being recognized:

(I can't find the horrible picture of me, the dress was double my size, I had socks on and ballet shoes) I had a gig a block away from home, so I put on a dress, wig and head scarf. Thought it would be very hard to recognize me later (I was blond back then). And some time later a kid screamed at me in the street: 'belly dancer!'

So it doesn't always work...

Found the picture!!!! It was in my ugly costume album:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: