Old lurkers meet and greet

Henna

Hello!
I am Henna, an anonymous addict of this forum. I am 47 years old and have been lurking here ever since I started taking bellydance classes, which was about three years ago. I have preferred to remain silent, because I have never had anything to share that seemed important enough.

However, something happened to me last week. I danced my first solo at the local hafla. A saidi with cane. It was not planned, but just happened somehow. But it gave me a big boost of confidence and reduced my need to be invisible, so here I am. After all, an invisible dancer is a contradiction of terms. :)

So I thought I should step out of of the shadows and thank all the regular posters for the education I have picked up here over the years. Thank you for being there and sharing your amazing knowledge and wisdom and humour.

And I also thought that maybe this thread could be something more than my personal greeting. It could be the place for other long-time lurkers to stick their noses out of the closet. Maybe. Or maybe not, because I know how shy lurkers are. :) Anyway... dare you!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum:D Glad you decided to 'de-lurk' & to come in out of the shadows of lurkersville:lol: now we can get to know you. Congrats on your first solo performance:clap:
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
Welcome Henna! I hope you will enjoy your new unlurked membership at this forum :) I am glad to see you here and hope you will participate in the discussions to make this forum even more fun and active.

walladah

Oh, i am a constant lurker myself!

you may see this from the low number of posts i have in this forum, although i am a regular reader!!!

welcome and weldone for introducing yourself! I agree with you that this forum is a great educational tool (and a real group support mechanism, thank you once more my friends!) and i hope that you will now write more often and tell your stories about bellydance!
By the occasion, if you are in doubt whether what you have to say is important enough or not, just say it! as you may see, sometimes a little comment that the poster might not even imagine as important, might reveal a new, unexplored topic for discussion!

Henna

Thank you all for the welcomes and congrats! The performance was actually no big deal, the event was verrrry small and informal. I had to dance alone just because there wasn't enough space for more than one person to twirl the cane.

I am still such a baby dancer, so it would be wise to listen more that speak, but I promise not to hold myself back, when I really want to say something.

De-lurkdom is fun! :cool:

Darshiva

Now that you're here, it's a good opportunity for you to ask the questions that you've always wanted answered.

Remember that while there are no stupid questions, there are plenty that have been asked & answered heaps of times before on this forum, so always check to make sure first. ;)

Gloria

starting out backwards

Hello All,

I guess I should have said 'hello' first before posting. I've been lurking off and on and originally joined just to answer a question, but since I've made a few comments now I guess I should introduce myself.

I've been dancing for over 20 years though not professionally. I'm old school and old style - I do 1940's Cairo almost exclusively. It doesn't have much audience appeal, but I dance for myself. My idol is Samia Gamal, but as far as present day dancers, Fifi Abdo still reigns supreme. My latest purchase is the book Oriental Dance Technique by Nelly Mazloum - a true gem, and I'm always on the lookout for music from that era.

I've found some interesting ideas and good advice here - it's nice to meet you all...

Gloria

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hello All,

I guess I should have said 'hello' first before posting. I've been lurking off and on and originally joined just to answer a question, but since I've made a few comments now I guess I should introduce myself.

I've been dancing for over 20 years though not professionally. I'm old school and old style - I do 1940's Cairo almost exclusively. It doesn't have much audience appeal, but I dance for myself. My idol is Samia Gamal, but as far as present day dancers, Fifi Abdo still reigns supreme. My latest purchase is the book Oriental Dance Technique by Nelly Mazloum - a true gem, and I'm always on the lookout for music from that era.

I've found some interesting ideas and good advice here - it's nice to meet you all...

Gloria
to the forum - I also love Samia Gamal truly one of the golden ones:D I just went & checked out the nelly Mazloum book, I must get that for my BD library, thanks for mentioning it.
~Mosaic

Gloria

Nelly Mazloum

Thank you for your warm welcome, Mosaic. I hope you love the book as much as I do. It's not an instructional manual that disseminates information, but rather, Nelly addresses the more esoteric qualities of the dance and shares her wisdom. Here is a taste of her philosophy:

"Egyptian Folkloric Dance is rapidly vanishing, despite the fact that an effort is being made to preserve as much of its expression as is available in the memories of those who still practice it. Nevertheless, it is bound to disappear...

...Certainly all is bound for a change and in our modern world of technology, what is beautiful in tradition tends to lose itself in the free market of exploitation. This tendency, I'm afraid, has reduced ALL Oriental Dancing to belly dancing. This is a tremendous pity!"

Oriental Dance Technique by Nelly Mazloum, p. 157, copyright 1990