Christchurch NZ hit by more Earthquakes Today

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Poor Christchurch - just when they were beginning to breathe again has been hit with a 5.8, 6.0 and a 5 something in fairly quick succession, a few injuries, no deaths thank goodness lots of damage again, and liquefaction. The 6.0 was only 5.8 kilometres deep & folk said it seemed to go on and on and the ground was rolling beneath them. Scary, scary stuff. The people of ChCh are shellshocked and who can blame them. The aftershocks from the big on in February had only recently stopped ( maybe 2 months) and then this one hits just before Christmas when everyone is looking forward to a peaceful & happy Christmas. I feel so sad for everyone.

Radio New Zealand : News : Christchurch Earthquake : Severe earthquakes shake Christchurch

Video taken after the 5.8 quake
~Mosaic

PracticalDancer

Two responses:

First, from a dry, science perspective, liquefaction is not exactly what was pictured. I believe that was either a broken water line or groundwater disruption from the quake. Liquefaction is actually when the waves from the quake make the wet soil move like water, very briefly, but no bubbling out of water is involved. (This message brought to you by my minor in Geology.)

Second, we now resume our normal, sympathetic Anala: I am thinking of my friends and dance friends in that region, hoping they are safe and wishing that this would end. I know how jittery I was (and how wonky my ears were) after our little bout of quakes. I hope that Kashmir and the others recover quickly and I hold them in my thoughts.

Regards,

Anala

Mosaic

Super Moderator
The video was posted as liquefaction, one of the first to be posted after the quakes. There was probably broken water pipes plus liquefaction, as the silt was just bubbling up everywhere, and small and large sinkholes were appearing, like the last quakes.
~Mosaic

Shanazel

May this be the final shake our dance brothers and sisters in NZ have to endure. Shimmies should be done by hips and by the ground. Bless you all.

Kashmir

Has anyone heard from Kashmir?
I'm back! I was on the road when it hit and I thought I'd blown a tyre. Stopped checked - all looked okay - then as the rolling continued I looked up and saw huge clouds of dust rising over Sumner as some of the cliffs gave way.

As I was on the civilized side of the bridge I stayed there until the power was restored at my place (about 5 hours). Decided the mess was more than I could handle (I'm currently pecking away in my office still knee deep in stuff - no point in picking up until they stop - we've had about 80 so far since yesterday) and retreated to my parents. I've only recently returned.

No real damage to my place - despite the 6.0M being about 500m from here and and another largish one about 100m away! All up half a dozen under 1km away. Basically, buildings that survived so far tend to be okay - my place is wood framing with brick veneer - very bendy.

Hoping for a quiet Christmas tomorrow.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'm back! I was on the road when it hit and I thought I'd blown a tyre. Stopped checked - all looked okay - then as the rolling continued I looked up and saw huge clouds of dust rising over Sumner as some of the cliffs gave way.

As I was on the civilized side of the bridge I stayed there until the power was restored at my place (about 5 hours). Decided the mess was more than I could handle (I'm currently pecking away in my office still knee deep in stuff - no point in picking up until they stop - we've had about 80 so far since yesterday) and retreated to my parents. I've only recently returned.

No real damage to my place - despite the 6.0M being about 500m from here and and another largish one about 100m away! All up half a dozen under 1km away. Basically, buildings that survived so far tend to be okay - my place is wood framing with brick veneer - very bendy.

Hoping for a quiet Christmas tomorrow.
Glad to hear you and family are OK, I heard the 6 was only 5km deep as well. I sure hope you have a quiet EQ free Christmas, 80 plus is more than enough to have to contend with.

My 78 year old Aunt who has been living in Whangarei for the past 5 years was seriously thinking of returning to ChCh to live but has decided that she'll stay right where she is after yesterday's lot:D I can't say I blame her, it must be scary & very unsettling.
~Mosaic

Kashmir

First, from a dry, science perspective, liquefaction is not exactly what was pictured. I believe that was either a broken water line or groundwater disruption from the quake. Liquefaction is actually when the waves from the quake make the wet soil move like water, very briefly, but no bubbling out of water is involved. (This message brought to you by my minor in Geology.)
From the Wiki article:
The pressures generated during large earthquakes with many cycles of shaking can cause the liquefied sand and excess water to force its way to the ground surface from several metres below the ground. This is often observed as "sand boils" also called "sand blows" or "sand volcanoes" (as they appear to form small volcanic craters) at the ground surface. The phenomenon may incorporate both flow of already liquefied sand from a layer below ground, and a quicksand effect whereby upward flow of water initiates liquefaction in overlying non-liquefied sandy deposits due to buoyancy.
We call it liquefaction here - although strictly, yes, it is the result of liquefaction. With the soils structure destroyed and the high ground water (Chch is built on a swamp and has many springs) - the liquefaction leads to the fine silt and water bubbling out of the ground. It is powerful enough to rip roads apart creating car swallowing pits. Many people get the silt boiling up out of their back yards and in some cases into their houses - both through wooden floors and in some cases concrete slab floors. I've heard of people with over half a metre of the stuff in their houses (one of my students had it reach the second shelf of her bookcase - and the house was on piles).

Volunteers hit the streets shovelling it into trucks and dumping it near my place (couldn't get it out of the city as most the bridges were restricted to 3.5T) Here's a photo of some it piled up ready to be taken elsewhere. Liquefaction (3 Mar) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Oh and when it dries it is fine and gets in everywhere.

Shanazel

Hi, there, Kashmir. Glad things are no more awful than they absolutely need to be, which is certainly awful enough. Hope Zumarrad and our other Kiwi members are okay as well.

PracticalDancer

Kashmir, I am so glad you are OK. And, my science is both rusty and my defense when struck with fear. Rather like my reaction of, "Oh good, the center was close. It's the long waves that can be the most dangerous."

Those reactions are trivia and trivial. The important thing is that YOU are OK.

May your Christmas be merry, bright with running electricity, and CALM. Hopefully, any knocking about is merely Santa's reindeer!

Aniseteph

The important thing is that YOU are OK.

May your Christmas be merry, bright with running electricity, and CALM. Hopefully, any knocking about is merely Santa's reindeer!

Seconding this. Peace in the earth as well as on it for Christmas. :pray:

Kashmir

Hi, there, Kashmir. Glad things are no more awful than they absolutely need to be, which is certainly awful enough. Hope Zumarrad and our other Kiwi members are okay as well.
Zumarrad's fine - and I haven't heard any one else has more problems than before.

indrayu

My thoughts are with you all in Christchurch. Glad that there are no fatalities, but everyones' nerves surely need an extended time of peace and calm.