The Goblin Calendar 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

walladah

Happy New Year!!!

to all of you! and thank you so much for the postings! looking forward to tomorrow's trick!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
3rd Jan

It is 1am 3rd jan so here is my contribution:D
Gnorga The Queen of Mean - Cloris Leachman ( A troll in Central park)

The Green Goblin's Speech & Song

& a little bit of fun a Goblin name generator. My name is: Gmetux Evildrool
(sounds somewhat revolting:lol:

Seventh Sanctum - Goblin Name Generator
Last but not least it pays to know & understand the types of Goblins one may deal with in their live:
Goblin types

They have pics of the goblins at the website: All Goblin Types

Kol'ksu.

The Kol'ksu are water goblins. They are very psychic, and they are very carnivorous. They are also beautiful, in an alien sort of way. They have white hair and white irises in their dragon-like eyes. The features are delicate and they might easily be mistaken for mythological mermaids...or sirens.

Kol'ksu never allow themselves to be seen by humans, and woe to the human who might somehow encounter one! It is not a pretty death. A human can be lured to the feed by the siren's song, or they might simply disappear without trace while swimmming. They do not leave evidence.

One in every generation will usually consent to speak to the other goblins, but on their own terms. It takes a stout heart, even for a goblin, to brave the deep pools where the Kol'ksu dwell.

Betweener

Betweeners live closest to the surface and resemble humans most closely of all the goblins. They are of the generation since the last Turning, although there will be some mixing with other types of goblins who move freely among the caverns as their will takes them.

Betweeners have been known to visit the surface world and even to interact with humans in limited ways, although most practices like exchanging babies (changelings) and Incubus/Succubus visitations have been abandoned due to the danger that interaction with humans brings to all goblin kind.

It is mostly among the Betweeners that those who the humans have dubbed fairies, elves, etc come from. Some can be very attractive to human eyes, despite their green skin and pointed ears.

Deep Dweller.

The Deep Dwellers are very old as a race. Although some remember a time when they fought wars with the humans, the stories are so old now that they have become no more than legends among the humans.

Yet the goblins remember. The Deep Dwellers generally keep well away from humans, and from the surface world. Their eyes can no longer tolerate much light. Some of them are regarded as Wise Ones because they have lived long enough to learn the lessons of life. Often the hard way. Those who have survived long enough to become Deep Dwellers have done so by exercising wisdom and judgement. The younger goblins recognise that this is so.

Magician.

The magicians are the ruling class among the humans, or at least it started out that way. After a few generations, more magicians were recruited among ordinary people who keep secrecy as they carry on with normal life among the villages and only meet with the other magicians on the Sabbats, or when called.

How the magicians came into power is told in the first book of the goblin series, Dance of the Goblins. How they maintain that power is a delicate balance that will be challenged more than once as the world of the goblins overlaps more with the human society.

Winged Goblin.

Winged goblins are very rare, and considered of special omen among the other goblins. They come from a very old line that has mostly died out, but a particular combination of genetics can result in the birth of such a creature among the oldest of goblins. These may not survive, as the inbreeding among the oldest of the Deep Dwellers has caused some genetic faults that too often result in premature birth.

However, those who do survive are considered to be very special. They are reputed to have special powers among certain types of creatures. The goblins do not speak of it aloud, even among themselves. Such powers are regarded with awe, even among a magical race of beings. The stories of the winged goblins pass through the generations only through whispers. It is mostly the memories of the old ones that keep knowledge of these almost mythological creatures alive.

Foringen.

The Foringen are rarely seen, even by other goblins. They live in the deepest places of the earth, close to the molten core. Foringen are metalsmiths. They make the special goblin swords and other weapons that Those Who Protect use to defend the whole of the goblin society.

Not much is known of the origins of the Foringen, not even among the oldest goblins. They are little and dark, with leathery skin that looks as if it has been burnt mercilessly. The hairless creatures have a non-verbal form of language that only a few among the Deep Dwellers can understand. How they survive in the inhospitable environment that they inhabit is a matter that not even the goblins will speak of.

Those Who Provide.

Those Who Provide are often the adventurers among the goblins, as well as the steadfast gardeners. Providing can take many forms. There is usually a free-thinking attitude among the goblins who choose to become the providers.

Food in the goblin world can come from many sources. Gathering, hunting, raiding human supplies, even digging under the human gardens to steal root vegetables. Herding animals for meat or picking fruit from trees may supplement the food supplies as much as growing the wild things that humans will not realise are planted by the goblins.

It is only this group of goblins who remember where the magical golden apples are grown and gathered.

Those Who Protect.

Those Who Protect are warrior goblins who live deep within the earth avoiding human contact, until the need for their protection arises. When Those Who Protect come to the surface in a crisis, the normally anarchic goblin world becomes like a place under martial law, although there is no actual authority involved. One simply does not argue with one of Those Who Protect.

These goblins come in an array of sizes and shapes like any other goblin, but it is the most likely place to find the large, troll-like goblins of the very old races. In the times when they are seen, they are likely to carry some form of weapons. Swords are most popular, although archers and talented knife fighters also live among Those Who Protect. Too often an unwary human will focus attention on a large troll fighting with a sword in each hand, missing the lethal assassin goblin who will despatch him with a silent blade across the throat.

Human

The humans in the world created by Jaq D Hawkins are generally inclined to conform to the rules of society and know their place. They often harbour prejudices, especially against goblins and other free thinkers, and are not inclined to increase their own awareness of the extent that the magicians control their world and live in ways not in keeping with the superstitions of the ordinary human's belief system.

Many of them are inflexible in their attitudes, and stuck in their ways. They like things to be simple and predictable. Those who deviate from this approach to life are likely to be noticed by the magicians, and may possibly be invited to share in the richer aspects of life that an alternative society has to offer.

Thus ends my Goblin saga for 2012
~Mosaic

Last edited:

Amulya

I was going through my costume collection today and discovered what the goblins have done to my favorite costume, they changed it into this thing:

walladah

Hahahahaha!

Definitely! but actually which type of goblin might have created this type of costume? a betweener?

Daimona

Ok, I'm going to be a goblin and give you an extra post. ;)

It also seems like the goblins played tricks at the newsdesk at the main broadcaster of Norway when they had a case about senior citizens and bad eye sight:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
:lol::lol:It's on you tube as well, seems the blurred letters are also abreviations shows at the end of the video ... or did the poster just add those:D
~Mosaic

Ariadne

Jan 5th

That is hilarious!

Well I took the 5th because I wanted to post this:

We associate it with Halloween but the music was actually written for an Opera (that was never completed) about a witches sabbat on St. John's Eve (Summer Solstice) on the Lysa Hora, a hill/mount near Kiev.

As the day turns to the 6th I also wanted to share a recipe my family uses for celebrations in our reenactment group including 12th night.

Makshufa - Nut Brittle (1226 Persia)

Original Recipe - Take equal parts of sugar, almonds (or pistachios), honey, and sesame-oil. Grind the sugar and almonds, and mix together. Add saffron to color, mixed with rose-water. Put the sesame oil into a basin and boil until fragrant: then drop in the honey, and stir until the scum appears. Add the sugar and almonds, stirring all the time over a slow fire until almost set: then remove.
-A Baghdad Cookery Book (1226 A.D./623 A.H.),
A.J. Arberry, tr., Islamic Culture 1939.​
2/3 cup Almonds
½ cup Sugar
pinch Saffron
½ Tbs Water
½ cup Sesame Oil
½ cup Honey

Roughly chop the almonds and mix with sugar in a small bowl. Add the saffron to water and allow to soak. Add to the almonds and sugar and mix well. In a medium size pan heat the oil over medium heat until just flagrant and the oil begins to swirl. Add the honey and stir in until the honey foams. Add the almond and sugar mixture and stir constantly until almost at a hard ball and remove from heat. Spread over wax or parchment paper to 1/8-1/4 thickness. Cool slightly then score with a knife that has been dipped in water.

Makes 2-4 dozen.
(Redactment by myself and my sister-in-law.)

If you do make this keep a close eye on the mix the closer it get to hard ball. It takes about 2 seconds for it to move from hard ball to burned. It will still taste good but it's not as good.

walladah

Wow! Thank you so much!

And the medievalrecipe from Persia has been a glamorous end of for the Goblin Calendar 2011!!!!!!

Wow! it has been so much fun, my friends!

Please, accept my apologies for not being able to be regularly online this year, as i am still without a cable phone and an internet connection - things after moving to a new place are made so slowly....

Thank you so much! Kai tou hronou! Means: Next Year too!! (pronounced Ke tu chronu).

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It has been an interesting & fun goblin calendar. Love the Fantasia video Ariadne, quite dramatic music & the animation is really great.
~Mosaic

Daimona

:lol::lol:It's on you tube as well, seems the blurred letters are also abreviations shows at the end of the video ... or did the poster just add those:D

If you look closely, you can see that the abbreviations really are there.. :lol:

Amulya

Original Recipe - Take equal parts of sugar, almonds (or pistachios), honey, and sesame-oil. Grind the sugar and almonds, and mix together. Add saffron to color, mixed with rose-water. Put the sesame oil into a basin and boil until fragrant: then drop in the honey, and stir until the scum appears. Add the sugar and almonds, stirring all the time over a slow fire until almost set: then remove.
-A Baghdad Cookery Book (1226 A.D./623 A.H.),
A.J. Arberry, tr., Islamic Culture 1939.​
2/3 cup Almonds
½ cup Sugar
pinch Saffron
½ Tbs Water
½ cup Sesame Oil
½ cup Honey

Roughly chop the almonds and mix with sugar in a small bowl. Add the saffron to water and allow to soak. Add to the almonds and sugar and mix well. In a medium size pan heat the oil over medium heat until just flagrant and the oil begins to swirl. Add the honey and stir in until the honey foams. Add the almond and sugar mixture and stir constantly until almost at a hard ball and remove from heat. Spread over wax or parchment paper to 1/8-1/4 thickness. Cool slightly then score with a knife that has been dipped in water.

Makes 2-4 dozen.
(Redactment by myself and my sister-in-law.)

If you do make this keep a close eye on the mix the closer it get to hard ball. It takes about 2 seconds for it to move from hard ball to burned. It will still taste good but it's not as good.

That sounds like an Indian recipe, but they use sesame seeds in it and they make balls out of it.

Btw we should have something like this thread and the advent calendar all year round, would be fun! And people can post whenever they want.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
That sounds like an Indian recipe, but they use sesame seeds in it and they make balls out of it.

Btw we should have something like this thread and the advent calendar all year round, would be fun! And people can post whenever they want.
I think if it ran all the time it would fall into oblivion as threads do eventually. I think it is better to just have it as a yearly fun thing.A year allows new things to turn up around the internet, so we can find and share them:D
~Mosaic

Status
Not open for further replies.