Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm using youtube to get the feel for the dance. Like a few of the ladies mention once I know what type of BD i want to go for I will buy the appropriate DVD. Once I have time on my hands I'm definitely going to find a class.

As good as an internet or dvd is it does not compare to a real teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

I think online lessons can be a wonderful way to supplement your dance, take from a teacher who lives in a place you may not be able to travel to, or to let you see if a teachers style is one you like and want to learn. That being said, there are some negatives. First, you have to have a bandwidth that allows you to receive the complete lesson without blowing your daily allowance, without stuttering and stopping, etc. Second, many beginners go to Youtube to learn and since they are beginners, they do not know if the person offering the "lessons" really knows the material or if they are a 6 week wonder. Third, we don't always know the credentials of the person offering the lessons which means we do not know their skill level.
    Just some thoughts on part. I know there are a few teachers I would love to take their on-line classes but I live in such a remote part of the country that I can only do major downloads or video watching between 10PM and 6 AM. Even then, its problamatic if there is a power failure. I love having the option to purchase the class on a DVD even if it is one that is burned when I place the order.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am the teacher of these Online eClasses

A friend told me you were asking questions about my Onlline learning classes, so I thought it would help if I answered them in person.

Yes I am the dancer Darshiva knows, I am on the committee of OMEDA and have been for 5 years. I have been teaching for 9 years here in Melbourne under Happy Hips Belly Dance. I am sorry, Darshiva, if you are upset about my classes, though I am unsure as to why. You are teaching remotely through Skype. My format is quite different, as I offer weekly progressive classes sent to their inbox. Please feel free to email or PM me if you have any more concerns.

You are all quite right that the "free" classes are a bit of a teaser. The aim is not to give it all away for free - as it was pointed out, there are a lot of free how-to videos on YouTube, and as you would also know, they are of variable quality.

The free eclasses are to give people a taste for my teaching style to see if it suits them, and give them a few basic moves to get them started and excited. If they like them they can become a member, and for a monthly fee, they get a weekly eClass for them to do at a time that suits them, plus props such as hip scarves, veils etc. The classes build up in difficulty, so someone who is an absolute beginner can start, and if they want to attend a "live" class later on, they have been taught the basics, as well as background, history, context, choreographies etc. I also give video feedback tutorials, so I can assess each student's technique and give personal feedback to improve.

The students who choose to learn this way are from all around the world. They are people who cannot normally attend a regular class due to distance, have a baby or ill person at home, work odd hours or have timetable clashes. (I'm sure all you teachers have heard the same from potential students!) I also get students who are too shy, and want to get some confidence before starting. I also have students with learning difficulties, such as a disability or age and need to be able to repeat a class over and over or rewind a section as often as they need, without holding up a whole class! At no point do I advocate that my way is better than a live teacher, after all I teach "live" classes myself and attend them!

I hope this has answered the questions, I am always happy to help!

Shimmies, Charni
    Belly Dance Lessons Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12